Citalopram - Worth sticking with

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with panic disorder 6 months ago and was reluctant to take tablets but things got so bad i was willing to try anything.

I think I've ben more sensitive to them than most people and struggled with 10mg, the first two weeks were awful up all night with a very upset stomach and severe panic attacks, dizziness, weight loss, vivid dreams when I could sleep etc etc.

However once I passed this stage I felt myself getting used to them more and more each day.

I still cant cope with taking 20mg, after a week or so they upset my stomach too much and make me too edgy, I can sense the changes in my body way more heightening my anxiety.

Having said that I am very glad I stuck with them, I'm now able to drive again, travel on buses to work and even managed to get the train to go on holiday. I've still some way to go but without these tablets I dont know what I would have done. I still suffer from headaches and a sensitive stomach but Its totally worth it just to feel human again.

Bear with them guys, in the long run you'll be glad!

Karen x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i also suffer panic disorder do these tablets stop panic?
  • Posted

i also suffer panic disorder do these tablets stop panic?
  • Posted

Hi

I too am taking citalapram for depression and just coming to the end of my 8th week. I take 20mg every morning but I just don't think they are helping!

I didn't have a problem with panic attacks before taking this but now find it hard to cope with an hour bus ride into work. I am tired all the time because I can't sleep and find it hard to concentrate at work. Great example I am typing this at my desk!

So as for these stoping panic attacks I'd have to say NO they don't stop them at least not for me. I am thinking of asking to try something else now and something to help me sleep would be nice. Diazipam is good for anxiety so you could ask for a mild dose.

Has anyone had councilling yet? I am fighting to get free NHS councilling as the local waiting list is 6 months long. I don't know if I will still be here in 6 months time sometimes.

• Posted

Hi Guys

I think everyone is a bit different, what works for one doesn't work so well for another. My panic attacks are still creeping up on me every now and again, generally when I'm super stressed out or worried, but by large they have stopped and I'm able to control myself better when I feel my pulse starting to race and that sicky feeling coming over me.

I think after 8 weeks if they are not working for you or making you worse you need to have a chat with your GP.

I too have waited over 4 months for CBT at my medical centre, only to have to start all over again this week because my therapist left without warning. I'm hoping that once I get started with the CBT, combined with the Citalopram I'll be ok and be able to come off the 10mg a day.

Good luck and hope you feel better x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.