Citalopram year 3

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi everyone I have had anxiety for many years now and I can come off meds for a couple of years but anxiety always comes back. for those of you that have just started citalopram bear with it. I can honestly say that it will get better. I start on 20mg and then up to 30mg . the side effects I had was feeling sick gritting my teeth and not sleeping very well. also the anxiety went through the roof but slowly I started to feel like the old me and the side effects passed but even now I do find myself gritting my teeth.dont expect to feel wonderful after a few days because you wont. I started to feel different around week 4 but it did take 3 months for me to feel like myself again.somedays I still feel a little anxious but it does pass and it is nowhere near as bad as it was and it does go. I felt so bad with my anxiety at the beginning but you have to push through it and keep telling yourself it will get better. I know it's hard to do that I have been there crying my eyes out thinking this is going to be how I feel all the time. but it's not I'm me again it's a long road but you will get there.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing Lisa. Very well said and I agree with it all. I'm about 6 weeks in now and I started to feel and see the difference around week 3/4. Well done to everyone and keep going strong.

• Posted

yes i agree,

im on wk 5 now this time round was on them for 10 years then off for 2 years but it crept back on me with physical stresses this time but felt much better after 2-3 weeks not 100 % yet but it helped me so much last time

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I have suffered from periods of anxiety for around 35 years-starting at school. It can occur when changes happen in my life or when I feel bored. I am going through quite a bad spell at the minute which started with me having very little sleep and the spiral of worry started again. The doctor has put me on Citalopram 20mg and I am approaching week 4. I do have fleeting moments that I am on the road to the recovery however I have some very dark moments over the last couple of weeks and trying to keep positive has been very hard. I am delighted that it is working for you and you give me hope to continue with it,

• Posted

hi lisa

thanks for your post, it gives me hope.....im on week 8 of citalopram 20 mg and i like people said before felt absoultly dreadful, im not out the woods yet so reading stories like yours gives me great hope. I like everybody else gritt my teeth & am keeping my head down and trying to push through

big love to everybody out there pushing through x

• Posted

im on week 5 been put up to 20 and feel such anxiety and panic all evening didnt think the side effects would be as bad going from 10 to 20 ? and tips on how long xx

• Posted

been on citalopram for a long time, 40 mg, then started taking tablet every other day as felt well, about 5 weeks ago I had to start taking 40mg again every day cos of a traumatic event which brought on depression and anxiety. Will I ever get better, very scared.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.