Citaloptam - doesn't usually take this long to work.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys

I've been on citalopram for year now, with a few failed attempts to reduce.

I was up at 40mg for a good while and with the help from my doctor I managed to slowly reduce to 20mgs. Last month i forgot to take my tablet for 2-3 days and quickly felt as bad as I did before I ever started on the citalopram. I went back to my doctor who put me back to 40mgs of citalopram and propranolol.

I felt kind of better after a few weeks but in the last few days I've felt terrible again. I don't know what's happening to me, usually I'm back to normal by now, I have been on the 40mgs for 4 weeks now. I'm worried I'm going to be like this forever.

Can anybody give me any advice or has this happened to anyone else? I was pinning so much hope on these tablets working again and I don't know what to do. Maybe I'm not giving them enough time to work. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Danielle

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I too was on Citalopram, and propranolol until recently.

​I found that my citalopram (40mg) had just stopped working. So after a consoltation with my GP, I was tried on a new medication (which unfortunately make me unwell).

​It could be that your pills simply are not working anymore-it happens.

​My advice would be to go to the GP and let them know its not working. You might have to start a new one, but that could be the answer. Some times a new medication can help with everything. I hope this could have been of some help x

• Posted

Danielle, sometimes pills which have worked well in the past just stop working. I'm a psychiatric nurse and I have seen this many times.

The answer is to go back to your doctor and ask for a different medication. Yes, it will be a nuisance having to wait while it builds up in your system, and the possible initial side-effects may be bothersome, too, but it will be worth it if it helps.

Of course, there is the fairly small possibiliy that the new medicine won't be the right one for you.

But there are so many anti-depressants available now, which work in different ways, that I am quite sure there's an anti-depressant which will work for you.

I was wondering why your doc put you on propranolol? Did you ask? Are they helping? I'd be very interested in the answers to those questions. I'm not suggesting that your doctor was wrong to put you on propranolol - but I was just wondering why?

Chrissie

• Posted

Hi Chrissie

Thanks for the reply. The doctor put me on propranolol and said it was just to keep me tiding over until I'm back on track. I'm a pretty anxious person in general and I have been into the doctors a few times for anxiety.

To be honest I don't know if the propranolol has made a difference, I don't think I have much faith in it because it's just a beta blocker.

It's just strange how I'm back to square one after just missing a few tablets. I'm so disappointed in myself because I've caused this set back.

Danielle

• Posted

Don't blame yourself, Danielle, please.

Just missing a few tablets has done you a favour, because you can ask for something else!

I'm not sure what use the propranolol has, either, but if the doctor prescribed them, you should take them.

Chrissie

• Posted

I WAS ON 30MG OF CITRapram foe years,decided to come off them then 6 months down the line i got depressed and anxierty so i went to docs and now im also on 40mg and 10 mg propronol twice aday,took a few months for the citrapram to work even tho im starting to feel a bit depressed again but not enough to go back to the docs,and the proponol does help as it stops me getting what i describe as adrenilin rush 4 no reason,STAY STRONG AND KEEP FIGHTING THE FIGHT

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.