Citalpram and anxiety 20mg

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was on citalpram 2 years ago for anxiety. It helped me a bit then I naturally felt like I didnt need it anymore. Well Sunday I felt it all come back like mad. I had some last week, but Sunday was terrible. I decided to take 20mg last night and I felt good all night until I slept. Once I tride sleeping I kept waking and my hands and arms where really warm and my heart and stomach felt so hot too. It's been 23 hours now and I'm still feeling so anxious, it hasn't eased off. Still feel shakey in my arms and chest. Anyone felt this way? Please tell me it gets better because right now I've never felt so bad.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I do not have anxiety typically, but the first time I took an SSRI for depression, I had TERRIBLE anxiety for the first week - week and a half.  It did pass, and eventually I felt little to zero anxiety until I went off of the medication, when I again experienced bad anxiety for a few days.

If you have enough Citalopram to continue taking it for a few weeks before seeing your doctor (you should try to get in to see your DR soon), I would go ahead and continue taking it for minimally the next week.  If the anxiety gets so bad that you cannot handle it, certainly call your doctor or the emergency department.  It is probable that your symptoms will subside after a few days or weeks... although the "onset" of action for this medication is 4-6 weeks I believe... which means it could also take that long. 

• Posted

Thanks inthemiddleofno, I know you get side effects, just today I felt he worst I'd felt in years. I can't feel like this for a few weeks, it's too much. I'm a mum, if I was on my own it would be ok, is sleep or try to on and off, but with kids you can't do that. I just hope it eases off in a few days for my own sanity. Thanks for replying to me. 👍
    • Posted

Oh Hannah, boy do I understand.  I have a 1 and 3 year old.  When the depression (or perhaps anxiety) gets so bad, the worst is feeling like you are failing your kids as well. 

Thank you for commenting back.  You just gave me the encouragement I need to contact my dr. as well.  All day I was thinking, "I will just deal with it until our next appointment" (in four months)... but for our own sake and our children's sake, we need to get well as quick as possible.

• Posted

No, don't leave it 4 months if you feel that way. I'm glad you're going to go and speak to him or her. It's 4.37am here and I'm awake. Woke at 4 after sleeping from 9-11.30 then half 12 till 4am lol broken sleep but better than yesterday's sleep. I have halted the dose from 20mg to 10mg, don't feel as bad now. Still slight insomnia and fluttery heart but not how it was yesterday when I woke up through the night. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.