Citelopram and not eating

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello all. I am very extremely anxious at the moment of feeling so unwell and not able to eat . I am currently on day 14 of my citelopram and have no appetite and feeling so u well with lots of symptoms. Could anyone relate or reassure me please. I feel in knots. X 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I feel for you sweetie. I've been on citalopram for 5 years and I find it doesn't work for me trying to wean of it. This 1st time you take a new anxiety drug it takes up to 6 weeks to feel the full benefit so hang in there,!! It's suppose to make you feel worse at first but it will get better sweet heart.
  • Posted

Thank you for your response. Much appreciated. Are my side effects of not wanting to eat normal? X 
    • Posted

Yes, those are normal side effects! While I don't push the benzo use AT ALL! Even bucked the use of them until I just was not functioning without them. I now take only .25 Klonopin at night to get over the "hump" of side effects. I had the whole burning, skin crawling sensation on day 15-18. 😁 It goes away. I'm not feeling myself, yet, but I'm dealing w Zoloft poop out. And, the increase either isn't enough or not working although I surely got all the side effects!
    • Posted

Ive been taking citilopram for almost 3 years now. Like they said it does take a few weeks for your body to adjust to it. For the most part it does well controlling my anxiety. I do still get the occasional panic attack that i take a short acting med for. My only advice for you would be to dont suddenly stop taking. If you find over time its not working for you talk to your dr about other options or weening you off of it. Good luck!
    • Posted

I am sending you a private message, Jaime. I have a question about Citilopram that is different from Samantha's. Don't want to bombard her feed. Thanks!

• Posted

hi

​your welcome to read some of my posts but it does take time in most cases and it does get much better, mine took months but with slow increses in response to meds after about 6 weeks, now i'm enjoying life again and im out of the house , i take sertraline, propranolol and quetiapine , sleeping well, and feeling pretty great but getting fat , ouch

• Posted

forgot to add sam, i lost 2 stone in the first few weeks, so yes it can cause major appetite loss, then theres all the dam symptoms
  • Posted

Yes when I have high anxiety, I am so worked up that I don't want to eat.  The body does this when we are in an anxiety storm/fight or flight mode.  Find ways to relax, guided meditation, deep breathing, mindfullness techniques.  Find time to do fun things, relaxing things. The more you do the better.  We need anxiety free vacations as many as we can.  If you feel the medications is not working consult you doctor, do not try to be your own doctor and ween or stop taking medicaton. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.