Citilopram and alcohol.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I'm not sure where to go on this, but i'm hoping someone can guide me- or at least just listen & support.

My wife is on Citilopram for her anxiety. She's also a drinker and admits & realises she has an alcohol problem but so far doesn;t show any signs of helping herself which is just SO SO frustrating and upsetting.

Recently she's had a couple of episodes where she feels extremely down and out of control and mentions hearing voices that she says tell her to harm herself. I'm not sure if this is while she's actually drinking, or to do with the come-down/withdrawal from drinking but either way- it's not nice.

Thankfully she's not done anything but we're both terrified of the situation and I don't know what to do or where to go for help.

I'm going to try to speak to her GP this afternoon but i'm half expecting her to say she can't help while my wifes still drinking.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm sorry to hear your wife is suffering. It might not be all down to the drink. Although as you know citalopram and alcohol don't mix very well. I only dare have 2 or 3 drinks now. If she is drinking a lot the citalopram won't be reaching their full potential. Mixing alcohol will make your wife more depressed, but I'm not sure about the voices. That could be something more psychological. The GP will know best, good luck.
  • Posted

Hi, the reason I went on Cita. was to stop drinking. It was not a want but a need! I pretty much drank for the last 40 yrs, wouldn't drink for awhile and then wouldn't stop drinking for a couple weeks, went to Dr and he said I was depressed, that's why I drank. So went on Cita. And it said Do not drink alcohol!! In bold on info sheet. So I didn't want a drink being on it, and didn't have one. Plus with all the drinking I was afraid of maybe damaging my liver, and don't want to die. I have been off Cita now for 3 months and haven't drank. It would have been a year sober, but had alittle episode in Jan. that was a big mistake, but live and learn!! Do I miss drinking? Yep! But it's not worth feeling horrible when I do drink. Some day I wanna get to the point when I can have a glass of wine, with dinner, but if it doesn't happen that's fine also. Your wife has to wanna try and give up the alcohol or u can help her all u want, but it's not gunna work if she doesn't wanna help herself. Have her go on U tube and punch on Alcholics and watch wat other people go thru because of alcohol, liver disease is a slow and painful death, that takes years before u die(scared the sh*t out of me) didn't mean to ramble, but being on Cita really did help with the drinking, Good Luck! And I pray your wife wants the help,before damage to herself is done!!
    • Posted

Takes courage Beth thanks for sharing I also was a big drinker pill popper now neither but its tough think about both most days we never really get over it but its great to hear your doing well congrats my friend!!
  • Posted

Hi Martin I drink a lot before, and now I don't , my feelings with Cirlopram, it made me feel uneasy after a drink, also it counter acts the pills to, so you would be better not taking them with a lot of drink, as I've experienced. So all I can say, is good luck to you and your wife, and what ever you do, give her plenty support, when she has bad days, which could happen.

• Posted

Thanks guys. This is a particularly bad day. I've needed to come home from work to be with her as she couldn't cope.

Thankfully she's sleeping now.

• Posted

Hi, I replied but didn't go thru yet. Cita helped greatly with my drinking. It's been a year, except for a mishap in Jan. that I haven't drank!! Sobering up is horrible, but well worth it, hope she gets a handle on this, life is Great without the booze.
  • Posted

Hi martin

It says on the Patient Information !eaflet that comes with the meds not to drink, but then that's quoted on most medicine leaflets.  I've taken Cit for 15 years and still have the occasional drink if I'm out or a glass of wine at dinner which I find ok with the meds.  I don't have a problem with alcohol of course but drinking excessively with any medication isn't adviseable.

Alcohol is a depressant, so excess drinking will counteract what the Cit is trying to do.  

Yes do go see the GP - that's the start.  She will be able to help.  Tackling the drinking is first and foremost.  Self harm is sometimes a symptom of anxiety and depression, and hearing voices is something that drinking can cause.

Coping with depression is hard enough, but mixed with alcohol will only add to her problems.

See the GP.  She will help and/or refer you to AA or wherever.

Wishing you both the best.

K x

• Posted

Hey Martin, sounds like some pretty scary and serious issues requiring an intervention, the voices in her head could be major chemical clashes anti-depressant and citalopram bringing the serotine levels up whilst alcohol is bringing them down still like the others you need to definitely get her to see the doctor and push for urgent care as concerns around self-harm or suicide should not be taken lightly!! all the best martin!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.