citlopram. Should I start taking it again

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was put on citalopram 20mg around 7 weeks ago and was told to change my lifestyle so I gave up drink , workout everyday , eat a good diet take protein shakes and cut right down on smoking , and so felt great. Went back to see my doctor after the first two weeks and was told that citalopram will not of worked that fast so it's all down to my change in lifestyle. I finished the course for another two weeks and then I came off them myself due to the doctor saying it was my lifestyle change. I felt fine for the first week or so but know I have closed right down real low and don't talk any more. Should I go back on citalopram or is this normal.. please help..tony

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Tony, It is true that the Citaloprm takes more than 2 weeks to work.  It takes around 6-8 weeks for the body to stabilise with the drug so therefore you hadn't given it time. Well done for changing your life style that is a positive step in the right direction. It does seem that the change in life style helped with your mood but you may still need to have Citalopram for while. Also coming off them may cause some side effects and as you are feeling low i would go back to the GP and review the situation. 

Best wishes.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Tony Great you are looking after yourself so too am I I execise daily also quiet drinking and improved diet, however the citalopram is a long term medication it needs to build up in your brina chemistry so 2 weeks wont cut it buddy go back on for at least a few months or whatever the doc says I'm 5 weeks in and feel great minor side effects although feeling good out weighs the side effects ! with constant medication and your new found lifestyle you'll be right in no time smile
    • Posted

Hey , Thanks so much for ya reply it sounds like you are doing the same as me as for the lifestyle change , so I'm gonna take ya advice. It's the little things that ya need to hear and you hitthe nail on the head. Thank you.
    • Posted

Hey Tony yeah sounds like you will be back in no time when you have a bad day mate just remember its just your mind playing tricks on you dont think too hard the citalopram for me has taken all anxiety away which is awesome! stay positive buddy thats the ticket wink
  • Posted

Good advice here Tony, I would like to add that you came off too soon and too quick! Maybe, your Doctor is not as up as mine and others on "sticking plasters for the brain" as you should never just stop.

I am 7 months in much better and hoping to start reducing tomorrow, but I undrestand it will be a very long and gradual process.

If you are not happy get a second opinion with a Doctor that is up on these meds.

Regards,

David.

• Posted

I think it is possible for the citalopram to have had an effect after two weeks. The other side effects happen immediately for most people as the drug is having an effect on the body and mind, the increased anxiety that some people get as a side effect could make you feel more energetic initially.

Although it was a long time ago I remember feeling almost a bit manic within a few days of starting citalopram.

It is a shame the doctor gave you the citalopram straight away without giving the lifestyle changes time, it makes it hard to know the cause of feeling better, although also it is possible you may not have felt able to make the lifestyle changes without taking the citalopram tablets.

Do you feel worse now than before you started taking them? Have you felt able to continue with the healthier lifestyle?

You could have some sort of withdrawal symptoms after taking them for 4 weeks, although milder than with long term use.

I would say that you will feel better by restarting the citalopram, but if you can manage off them then that would be better for your long term health. After being on them for many years I have put on weight and feel my physical health has deteriorated and I had a difficult time stopping them due to withdrawal effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.