Citralopram- reassurance needed!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been prescribed Citalopram for anxiety (currently on 15mg) and am at the end of week 3... I've had awful side effects, the one remaining is nausea. I also had 2 really good days last week, where I felt like me! Last couple of days have been really bad though. I can hardly eat, no appetite, dry heaving and super anxious!

Is having 2 good days a good sign? A sign that the meds are starting to kick in!? I am desperate to feel better.

I think because I am so anxious, that triggers the nausea?

Any reassurance here would be massively helpful. Thanks Steve

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

For anybody reading this during a 'blip'. They don't last, when you're under a cloud, the sun will still pop out every now and then! Hearing 4 to 6 month for getting better has terrified me. Although you need to be clear, this is not without a bit of respite. I have had 3 days of despair... Today I woke anxious, but by 11 I felt good, good like me, I was hungry, I ate, I laughed. I am 4 weeks in on 15mg. I'm not fixed, I know this, I'm not stupid, but there's good days, even when you doubt they ever will be!

• Posted

hi steve

i have enjoyed following your recovery story, how are you doing by now?

• Posted

Hi Lorraine. I'm good, 4 months in now on 20mg Citalopram. I still think about my 'anxiety' a lot, although I don't feel anxious. I think having a tablet each morning reminds me of it!

I still clench my jaw every now and then, but a small price to pay! My alcohol tolerance is poor now, I don't get drunk quicker, but it triggers a REALLY anxious day or 2 following it!

Those first 4 weeks are now becoming a distant memory (thank God). I still feel I might improve more, like I just said, I am still very conscious that I HAD anxiety. I hope a day comes when I don't think about it ever!

I just read your post. You're reducing your dose, so must be doing well yourself if you're coming off it?

Not something I'm even thinking about just yet!! 😂

Thank you for showing interest. There really is some kind people in this world!

• Posted

Hi Steve

thank you for replying, i am so glad that you are doing well, the first few weeks are awful.

what helped you get through the first few weeks?

i started reducing 3 weeks ago and boom! i started crying i was angry and anxious, so i went back onto my original dose 6 days ago... the last few days my anxiety has been brutal, i had night flushes all night everytime i nearly nodded off, like a flash of panic and my breath was taken away. awful!

stay well 

• Posted

6 month update. Yep, Citalopram really works. I'm me again! One long term side effect seems to be I occasionally clench my jaw still. No big issue.

I can now drink alcohol again socially, without getting awful anxiety for a couple of days after. I drink less anyway as I think I used alcohol as a bit of Dutch courage if going out!

I also used to have to eat something when first taking the tablet to avoid nausea. Usually a banana... I hate eating first thing in a morning and that was always a struggle. Seems I don't need to to do this anymore either.

The first 4 weeks of starting this medication will never leave me. During them 4 weeks, you are literally living minute to minute. That's hard, soooo hard. Days drag and the niggle in the back of your mind 'What if it doesnt work', 'When will it end', 'Will it end'... I had all this going through my head. I sat and cried so many times, like really blubbed! But slowly, it got better. In the scheme of things 4 weeks is nothing (I say this looking back now, it was hell during that 4 weeks). Stay strong one day further on, is one day closer to being happy! When people say Citalopram didn't work for them, they are usually people who gave up to soon! 4 weeks of hell (with some nice bits and glimmers of hope during this time). From there on in, things improve. You'll notice the improvement, people around you will too.

I'm well, I'm happy, you will be too! Stay strong. IT WILL GET BETTER! Xx

• Posted

Hi,

I am new on here but have used this to reassure myself from time to time..I am taking 15mg of citalopram and have had to go up really slowly. I have been on it for 11 weeks so far, the first few weeks were truly awful and there has been alot of ups and downs but mainly downs although the downs arnt as strong as they were... It's comforting to read your story as it confirms that things will get better..I am going through a blip at the moment and my good days a far and few inbetween. I intend to stay on 15mg for a while before going up again to see if I settle...The whole experience has been the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with and I thank you all for your words encouragement for others as it does help. the morning anxiety is truly an arse.

• Posted

hi how is everyone now? im on week 6 on 20mg still feeling a bit ropey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.