Citralopram Withdrawl

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been on 10mg for over a decade. Over the past few months i have decided to wean myself off the drug altogether.

I have been off the drug completely now for 7 days after a slow weaning process over the last 2 and a half months.

I'm not sure if it was the best time as I am currently doing a university course part time, working full time and juggling the joys of 3 young children. I feel awfully emotional and am currently finding it difficult to undertake work activities and university assignments. I suppose I just feel a bit hopeless as if I'm not capable or worthy of being on a uni course or command a manager's job in work. By coming of the pills it seems to have hit my self esteem. Fatigue, shivers and the occasional brain zaps/fog have been pretty regular over the past week.

I'm hoping these symptoms subside. I will keep everyone posted on how the weeks go. I am determined to come of these tablets as I k ow longersugger from Anxiey.

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

If you do a search for ssri withdrawal, you will see that for the vast majority of people, needs years to be done properly, if you want to minimize the symptoms of it.

It took me 6 years to be off a 20 mg citalopram, been taken for 11 years.

All 4 previous attempts for shorter time frame, failed due to deliberating symptoms, appeared shortly after!

Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi,

The is for the reply. I did some research on withdrawal symptoms and was aware by individual it can vary by time. I wasn't aware it could take as long as you have suggested.

I will keep am eye on my symptoms, hopefully I'm that person who don't need several years to come of the tablets. I will post again in a few weeks and update on my symptoms

• Posted

I know is probably personal ..but why would you want to come off??just curious...now your going to have anxiety over withdrawals...
    • Posted

Hi,

Ssris and other antidepressants are not supposed to be used for long term treatment, in mild to medium conditions.

Nobody knows the long term effects on the human body, after years of consumption.

In fact, nobody really understands how they do work, and what systems of human body they affect.

They simply look at the benefits in the short term, but rarely the same doctor evaluates the same patient after 5 - 10 years to see the outcome!

• Posted

My mom has been on celexa for 18 years...no problem ..I just don't get the coming off ..and then going on again..if it ain't broken don't fix it.. nobody really knows the long term effects of any medication..high blood pressure .. diabetes... cholesterol...etc etc..if they weren't helpful like any other meds...they wouldn't prescribed them.. take care..

• Posted

Hi

Basically down to the fact that I don't want to rely on the medication. I also feel tired a lot when I'm on it plus my anxiety symptoms have diminished so thought i would try and see if I could get back to living medication free. I was also on a real low dose so thought it wasn't doing much for me so why not come off them. I suppose time will tell.

• Posted

Your anxiety symptoms diminish because of the celexa..you should of ask for a decrease that would of help with the tiredness..I was on 20milligrams ..and it was too much..so my phychiatrist put me on ten ..and thank goodness that did it for me.i also plan to be on this med.till death do us part...
    • Posted

Hi

Funnily enough when mentioned to the doctor I was coming off them he didn't seem to interested. Your prob right about the tiredness. Hopefully symptoms so side over time.

Thanks for the advise, much appreciated

• Posted

It did it for me from twenty to ten ..and viola instant relieve from alot of those yucky feelings
  • Posted

I am wishing you the best of luck Steven. I am currently on 30 mgs since a few days ago. I am doing a lot better at that dosage. It’s like night and day for me. I was in 10 mgs for just over three months and it wasn’t doing much on a consistent basis. My doctor said it would be too low a dose to continue at 10 mg. So he upped it to 20 for a week and now I am happily at 30 doing fabulously. Everyone reacts differently to anything. I plan on staying at this dose for the duration of my life. I am 69 and want to enjoy the rest of my life and if it takes the med to give me the quality of life I deserve. 
    • Posted

Hi Kaycee

The main thing is being happy which sounds like you are. The tablets have done my a world of good as well. Different goals for different people I just don't want to rely on them any longer.

All the best thanks for the lost and advise.

• Posted

i was on 40 mgs citalopram for 8 yrs,it helped me allot ,then without telling my doctor i decided i had enough of this medication and came off of it,i still get occasional side effects and anxiety ,but not much.,however medicines work differently to each person ,so if you come off of this medicine too quickly ,your side effects can be too grate  and i would suggest you then start coming slower instead.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.