Citroplam medication Alchol use

Posted , 9 users are following.

So I know you shouldn't drink on antidepressants and for weeks I keep turning down friends to go out clubbing and it's starting to make me a social outcast. I want to go out and drink Alchol. Will it make me drop dead?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

No it won't make you dead lol I've been on them for 6 years and I only drink when I go to weddings and new years Eve and I drink a heck of a lot when I do drink at party's! I suffer from really bad hangovers that last for a week but I hardly ever go out and get drunk so I just put up with my horrible hangover and let it pass! I do feel a bit more anxious the next few days though

• Posted

Ahh it's worth it I can deal with th anxious it's the part where I think I'm going to die which sends me into panic mode but as long as it won't kill mesmile thank you x

• Posted

If you've been told not to then don't . It's that simple. Totally your call though. Mental health is more important than alcohol. I'm sure you don't need booze to go out with your friends

• Posted

I haven't be told yes or no to whether I can drink on them with doctors, just I hear very mixed results when drinking with them or any medication for that matter as it can stop it working, but as long as it literally doesn't make me drop dead is what I'm saying I'll be fine, which I'm hoping it doesn't do

• Posted

You will never drop dead at all..there's no such thing as dropping dead unless there's an absolute terrible reason..but anxiety will not cause you to drop dead it's all in your head Hun..it's like when I fall asleep all I think about is I'm dying..and it ain't true anxiety sucks totally..I have bin suffering couple months now but I haven't even walked outside my front door my partner has to take me kids school do everything as I suffer bad panic attacks and chronic dizziness chest pain and headaches unfortunately citropram wasn't the one for me made me anxious and panicky more but if your not sure talk to your dr Hun

• Posted

Hey Olly. If you drink responsibly while on your mediciation, it won't kill you. But it could very easily lead to undesirable side effects. These mediciations are not meant to be taken with alcohol in the system, which is why there's a warning against that in the first place. But it's totally your call -- if you'd like to have a few drinks with friends, by all means do. But understand that it can only hurt you, not help you. If all you're worried about is the severity of the consequences, though, I wouldn't worry too much. Just don't make it a habit. 

Best xxx 

• Posted

I'm on that medication and I have drank whilst taken them and I haven't seen any sides affect I do however take mine at night but for me there has been no problems with it

• Posted

It effects everyone differently I was on them at start I hated them gave me nothing but panic attacks and I was awake all night even tho I was taking them before bedtime lool ask your gp
  • Posted

The real question here is - can you drink responsibly? Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant while citalopram is an antidepressant. The psychological effects of the two substances taken together counteract each other, which means that you would find it difficult to get drunk. You would still feel some of the behavioural disinhibition caused by alcohol, but it wouldn’t be nearly as potent, or ‘fun’, as if citalopram was absent from your system.

Now, there are two problems here. (1) You may want to drink more than you normally would in hopes of getting drunk. This is a VERY dangerous scenario. If a healthy human being drinks too much, he/she passes out, which protects him/her from achieving toxic levels of ethanol in the blood. You wouldn’t benefit from this protection (which may sound cool if you’re a youngster) and would be risking a permanent liver (and brain) damage, as these two organs are most sensitive to ethanol toxicity. So if you’re going to do it, be responsible. One beer is ok, two may be fine, more… well… may be not. (2) The presence of ethanol in your blood would affect the kinetics of citalopram uptake and processing. This means that the hangover next day wouldn’t be just another hangover, but it would turn into a f.ing epic end of the world, resembling all of the side effects that you experienced in the first weeks of therapy suddenly falling upon you. So if you were going to experiment, make sure that you wouldn’t have to turn up at work the next day / drive / get up… and that there would be someone with you, willing to get you a glass of water…

I hope this helps. But again, mind that drinking while on antidepressants is generally not a good idea.

• Posted

Personally I wouldn't become a social outcast, it will make the situation you are in worst I would take it easy on the alcohol as it could make you more depressed.  Just be realistic and pace the alcohol. Sorry if it sounds boring, you can still go out and enjoy yourself 🙂🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.