CKD and Lupus anyone?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Would love to here from you.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Fran, I have no experience with Lupus.  But I was curious if the doctors tell you that is it Lupus that causes your CKD?  Also I understand the sometimes it is not Lupus that bothers the kidneys but the medications given to treat the Lupus.  What stage CKD are you?
    • Posted

Rick,

After tests, scans and a whole bunch of lab test my Nephrologists told me that my Lupus was not the cause for my CKD. He said it was the Metformin I had been taking for my diabetes, so I was put on insulin.   I am CKD stage 4 with gfr 23. The only thing I can take for pain is Tylenol   , unless I am in the hospital at which time I do receive stronger meds. At this point I am trying to find natural med, I tried to make a post on something that has been recommended, doesn't alter the state of mind, in case someone thinks it's something else. My post is still being reviewed so I don't think they are going to let me post it. Wonder what others use and how well it works.

Thanks for responding.

• Posted

If you are on Metformin, please don't stop taking it, as I said I   have autoimmune disease. My body reacts different than most peoples body does.

• Posted

getting tested for lupus and got stage 4 ckd 
    • Posted

Davey, 

Lupus is a branch of an autoimmune disease, connective tissue disease. Many branches to this disease.  I have other branches also,polymyositis,rheumatic arthritis, sjogren's, and Raynaud's. Since Lupus mimics other diseases it may be possible you have something else, or, you do have it, or it just doesn't show up yet. I'll keep you in my prayers.

• Posted

They tell me it is normal to have Creatinine levels of 1.7 or 1.8 (some higher) with just one kidney.  These automatically classify you as stage 3 CKD.  Now people younger than myself, (i'm 68) say for example in their 40's will have the ability for the remaining kidney to pick up the workload.  The "filters" in the kidney actually enlarge to handle the increase work.  So they could achieve "normal" numbers (not all by any means).  But as we age, even healthy individuals kidneys slow down.  My kidney doctor told me it can take over 12 months for my kidney to reach its final level of how it will handle all the new work.  But it won't be normal, as it might be for someone in their 30's, 40's, etc.  But it will be my new normal.  It will decline slowly with each year of age, which it would have done even if I had 2 normal kidneys.  We are not young forever.  Just like the car, it eventually has problems and starts to wear out each year a little bit more.    There are people who can donate a kidney and the other operates just fine and a normal life is led, but notice they never say what their GFR levels are.  I'm feeling it is the stability of numbers that matters.  She tests me every 2 months to see if I remain in a near constant range of GFR.  It can fluctuate of course a point or two, (different labs, different diets the night before, fluid levels)  but as long as it remains in a near constant range, this is what matters.

• Posted

Awesome, God willing your kidney will regain enough strength to keep you going for decades and decades!
  • Posted

Thanks.  Considering, I will settle for just 1.5 decades. lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.