CKD and Milk of Magnesia

Posted , 6 users are following.

My GFR 41 and creatinine clearance 1.37, every so often I take Milk of Magnesia when my stomach is upset and feel constipated. I guess, at the most every 2 months or so. I'm pretty regular other than that. Is M of M dangerous for the kidneys when taken every so often? I'm reading to avoid it, but it's the best thing out there for me. Appreciate input. I just don't want my kidneys to get worse. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It's only a personal preference, but I use something like Laxido (macrogol 3350). It's the orange powder you dissolve in water. That's what they gave me when I was in just a day after my kidney transplant and seems to be the hospitals preferred drug of choice, especially as you obviously have to be very careful with a new kidney!!. (Laxido is just the brand name here in the UK). Good luck!

• Posted

My primary care physician has recommended that I not use m of m due to my reduced renal function.

Marj

• Posted

Since my diabetes is totally in check he has me drink apple juice. Fortunately I rarely have trouble with constipation I think because I eat raw apples, cabbage, and so forth. But this may change as my renal function deteriorates more.

Marj

• Posted

Mari, Milk of Magnesia is NOT advisable for anyone with any type of kidney ailment.  Not just CKD.  A kidney that is not totally healthy can not clear magnesium properly.  It can build of in your system and become toxic.  Pepto Bismal is also not advisable.  Most laxatives are not recommended.  But close to the top of the list is Milk of Magnesia.  I asked my primary care doctor if Miralax is acceptable.  he said yes.  I then asked my kidney doctor and she said absolutely not.  That to take a single dose would be okay, but still not recommended.  She said avoid laxatives and antacids.  Just to keep drinking plenty of water for the constipation.  Call your doctor and ask what is allowable.  Do not trust the internet.  Just call your doctor.  Even normal preparations for a colonoscopy are not allowed for someone with CKD.    Your doctor should be able to tell you what to take.
    • Posted

Rick,

My doctors have me use Pepcid as an antacid if needed. That is reasonably safe for those of us with CKD supposedly.

And my mother passed away from colorectal cancer. I have had polyps that were not malignant, thankfully. But due to my family history they do still recommend colonoscopies for me. However, I'm asking my new nephrologist about that before scheduling my next colonoscopy--it's due again this summer.

Of course I strongly agree with your comment to check with our doctors before we try anything!

Marj

• Posted

I too have a colonoscopy soon approaching.  I had one originally about 12 years ago.  No polyps were found.  Then five years ago I had one in which a single polyp was found.  It was determined to be precancerous.  Which shows the value of having a the test.  One time my preparation was an entire bottle of Miralax.  Now that I have CKD this would not be allowed.  The last time was some clear liquid that you drank 12 hours and then  8 hours before the test.  I am not sure if this is allowed.  So when I go to schedule the appointment I will yell loudly "hey, watch out, I only have one kidney with CKD".  And no matter what they tell me I will talk to my kidney doctor before the procedure to be sure she agrees.  I have heard of different precautions taken for a CKD patient for a colonoscopy but am not sure what they are.

• Posted

Rick, I definitely do the same with any tests I need. My old nephrologist didn't seem to have any concerns about the colonoscopy or the prep for it. But it's becoming clearer and clearer as I work longer with my current nephrologist that my first one wasn't exactly on track with his medical interpretation or treatment recommendations. So I'm running everything by my current nephrologist just to be sure that I'm doing what he would recommend. So it will be interesting to see what he recommends for the colonoscopy and its prep.

Right now I'm focused on finishing my grading; our semester on campus is ending this week. And then I will get my house up on the market. I'm hoping it sells quickly so I can relocate to Overland Park, a suburb of Kansas City, during my month off. I'm moving so I'll have easier access to my doctors. (They are all affiliated with the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City.) but this moving process is proving to be more challenging with Stage IV CKD and severe anemia. So I'm having to do all of this very gradually🐶

Thus far I'm handling it all fairly well. But I'm sure panning to hire a company to pack me as well as move me this time specifically because of my severe anemia.

Anyway, once I'm moved I'll deal with the colonoscopy and so forth. It will be good to get myself physically located in the same community where I see my doctors...

Marj

• Posted

Can I suggest that you google your question. I just put is 'Milk of Magnesia dangerous for the kidneys' and quite a few answers came up. While the internet is not a doctor it sometimes comes up with doctor's opinions. You can read answers and if you are still worried the please ask your GP. I am sometimes constipated but find if I drink sufficient water that it helps.

Kidney disease is so frustrating trying to eat a healthy kidney friendly diet, drinking enough water to flush out any toxins, taking exercise and worrying whether medications you take will damage your kidneys! Sometimes I think that CKD makes us better researchers!

Good luck.

• Posted

My apologies! I did not see that others had already answered your question. Just one thing re the internet. I agree that it is not gospel truth and nor should we accept whatever is written, but I do find reading research papers and asking simple questions often brings up useful information.
  • Posted

Great answers, thanks. I'll look into the Laxido. It happens so rarely. I didn't even take a child's dosage of M of M, it was less than that. For some reason it calms my stomach. I won't take it anymore. I also eat a lot of fiber and have a pitcher of water available at night, I drink it all night all when I get up for BR breaks. I don't wake up dehydrated. I also think lots of fat in the diet is a problem. When this happened recently, I ate fatty foods and not enough fiber. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.