CKD and Sparkling Mineral Water

Posted , 10 users are following.

My husband is Stage 4 CKD, GFR 19. Since getting the shock news, he has stopped drinking alcohol. He never drank much alcohol anyway. He now drinks mainly his favourite mineral water, which is sparkling San Pelligrino. He drinks 1-2 litres of it a day. As it is sparkling, does it cause any harm to his kidneys, or is it OK please.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello,re sparking mineral water, the answer is it is,harmful: excerpt:

Drink water instead - Kidney Health Australia

www.kidney.org.au/kidneydisease/drinkwaterinstead/tabid/703/default.aspx

Kidney Health Australia position paper. ... Note: bottled mineral water contains salt which can lead to fluid retention, swelling and even increased blood pressure ...

Your husband needs bi carbonate of soda, you will find lots on internet to support it helps to stabilise kidneys start now!

Diana

• Posted

Hello, yes it is harmful, it contains salt. Ask Google, it will tell you....

Also you should note: Oral sodium bicarbonate has been shown to slow progression to end stage renal disease in individuals with stage 4 chronic kidney disease and metabolic acidosis (plasma sodium bicarbonate levels 16-20meq/L).[24]. This is from Wikipedia.

Change his diet now.... To kidney foods... They love grapes red, lettuce, cucumbers, beet root, celery, red peppers, use fermented rice miso for flavouring and garlic. Stay away from seeds, and granary bread.

My husband is at stage4/5 , I research constantly...he is now taking Ayurvedec medicine along with other western. Suggest review Husbands present medication if on anything, and reduce what ever or delete anything unnecessary with Dr.

He has Only been on Ayurveda medicine 11 days, will have new blood,tests in less than 2 weeks, will post

results.

One last thing, suggest you could be his,donor, takes about 6 months to get through all the tests, start them ifyou are both young and want to do this as last resort.... I did it for my husband, we matched, but he has otherconditions that presently prohibit this operation.

All the best.

Diana

• Posted

Hello again should also mention....If you have kidney disease, it is very important that you do not use salt substitutes such as Lo-Salt. These products contain a lot of potassium and, if your kidneys are not working properly, potassium can build up, which can lead to health problems.

Diana

• Posted

Hi Diana, and thankyou. Like you I am quite obsessed with researching kidney friendly stuff, which is why I posed this question. My husband has been on a kidney friendly diet for quite a long time now. Unfortunately he is not a candidate for a transplant; neither of us is young either. I don't use any salt in cooking, relying on garlic etc. That is no problem, our palates are used to it, and actually prefer it. He is on a low potassium diet, (so I would never use Lo-Salt) and his potassium levels and salt levels are not a concern at the moment. I have googled San Pellegrino, and find that a litre is only 2% of daily salt intake so it isn't a problem from that point of view. My concern was the carbonation. Does anyone know if that is OK?
    • Posted

I see I'm 4 years late on this question but several sites say plain carbonated water - flat water with no additive except carbon gas appears to be good for you. How is your husband doing, I hope well.

• Posted

Tj
    • Posted

There is no salt in seltzer water. There is salt in mineral water. Seltzer is water plus carbonation... no salt. I am stage 3 and love it. Doc says drink all you want!
  • Posted

Hi,

Any bottled water is bad as it contains sodium, I don't have salt due to having had CKD all my life, I spent the last  two years on PD and had my transplant in September last year.

Regarding the need to adjust your husbands diet and take bicarb unless you have been told to do this by your husbands doctor then don't. (I asked my doctor about studdies I had seen on line and he said it was rubbish it would make it worse, As they kept me in stage 3 from 13-37, I trust what they say)

It all depends on what your husbands blood results are, so the lower the blood bicarb level, the higher the blood acid.  You would not take bicarb unless his blood bicarb was less that 20 normal levels being between 20-26.  Regarding lowering potassium, if his levels are between 3-5 and you reduce his potassium through food it is as bad as his potassium being too high ie he would be at risk of a heart attack.  If you lower his phosphate through diet and it is within normal range any thing over 0.75 if you make this lower he is at risk of going into a coma.  So this is why it is important you do not change his diet unless a Doctor tells you to as it is very dangerous.  Avoid salt and low salt, ready meals and ibuprofen.  You more than likely know this already, oh and don't believe everything you read on the internet! If you are ever unsure of anything then it is best to ask the doctors who are caring for your husband.  He is getting to the point now where they will start discussing doners and dialysis.  I had a live doner, the work up took two years as what you have to bear in mind when the testing process starts the doner is often told of issues with themselves that they didn't even know they had. I was told it took 6 months, but in reality it is a lot longer in the UK due to waiting lists etc.  Even if you have a live doner you still have to go on the transplant list incase a more specific match comes up that will be better.  All sorts of thiings have to match, blood group is just one of them, antibodies are checked as people have different antibodies that are not compatable.  They also test your kidney function and project what it is likely to be when you are around 85.  If there are any issues the doner pairing is stopped, and after you have gone through all of the tests in the uk you are interviewed by the human tissue authority and they decide if they are going to give the go a head and allow the licence for the transplant to go ahead.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.