Ckd and Thyroid Function

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

Got told today that my Thyroid is a 'little low' on functioning ?! Do other people with CKD have thyroid issues. I will do a repeat blood test to check thyroid in 6 weeks egfr is 46. I feel breathless and exhausted. I also have Gout. Do other people have this condition along with their CKD?!

Thanks Elizabeth

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Is it thyroid or parathyroid?  People with CKD have issues with parathyroid as it is all linked.  I have issues with my parathyroid and I take vit D tablets with calicum to help the issue.  I have 6% function and am on dialysis.  If you have a gfr of 46 you are in the early stages of CKD 3a so your breathlessness shouldn't be due to the CKD.  What is your iron like this can be an issue it being low for CKD people and this could be causing your tiredness and breathlessness so it is worth asking to get this checked out.  My iron is ok at the moment but it has been effected when I was at about stage 3 and they gave me tablets but said if they didn't work after 3 months they wouldn;t work so I had an infusion and that stood in me in good stead for about a year and a half.  The next time I had to have one I was on dialysis and had EPO with it that was nearly two years ago and I just have EPO now.  It is worth the blood test to see if it could be contributing.  If it is your normal thyroid you will have tablets and hopefully that should sort things and help you feel better.  Keep us posted x

• Posted

Hi Helen

Thank you for your reply. Yes it's Thyroid function a bit low .. To be retested in 6 weeks. Perhaps this is causing breathlessness.

Thank you

• Posted

*Raises hand* I also have low thyroid as well as CKD.  I take synthroid to compensate and follow-up with an annual blood test to evaluate TSH levels.

That said, I could be wrong but I do not believe CKD affects TSH levels until and unless one's GFR goes substantially lower (eg. into the teens?), and additionally, thyroid conditions seem to be much more common than CKD so chances are your 2 issues just happen to be unrelated.

That said, the "fix" is easy - I'm sure your endocrynologist will prescribe something like synthroid so you take a pill a day, your TSH levels stabilize, then get tested once a year to ensure your TSH levels remain stable.

In terms of breathless and exhausted:  I agree with Helen, this symptom does not typically affect CKD sufferers until CKD is much lower, again we're talking low 20's into teens.  In fact, it is more likely this is related to your out-of-whack thyroid than CKD, so I wouldn't be surprised if you start feeling better after treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.