CKD and Workplace Adjustments

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello.

i have CKD, currently at an egfr of 13. i have upcoming appointments at the regional transplant centre and all being well i will be having a pre-emptive transplant. I am lucky in that I have 5 immediate family offering to be Donors / getting tested (although I'm realistic and fully aware its not that easy so may still have to go on dialysis / have a long wait etc).

Whilst i wait for this i have started to now get symptoms; severe fatigue, nausea..... you know, all the usual ones you read about. I'm doing everything i can to deal with these (medication / diet / light exercise). i am still working, as a supervisor in an office / call centre environment. Work have been extremely understanding and supportive with everything so far (I've had other complications all linked with renal problems) and they continue to be. Work is becoming increasingly difficult for me, they have already done some workplace adjustments (flexible shifts) and i manage my own tome so i get as much break as i need / want.

j am wondering if anyone has any experience or suggestions if what else, if anything, i could possibly do in work to try and make it easier and then not have to take time off.

any suggestions you have are welcome, no matter how obscure! I'm willing to try anything and work are really inclusive and go the extra mile so I'm sure they will consider most things.

Thanks, Mike.

Aged 27

Chester, England, UK.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michael, my symptoms were relatively mild so I'm afraid I can't be of much help, but I didn't see any responses to your question so I thought I'd chime in anyway. I'm not sure much more can be done to manage your symptoms; the only thing I can suggest is that if you get leg cramps, get a prescription for Quinine (works great). Re: nausea: when I felt nauseous, my 'strategy' was to tell myself "no you don't feel nauseous, it's just your imagination" and put it out of my mind. I found this effective because when I felt nauseous, the more I thought about it the more nauseous I felt so the best thing was to convince myself it's nothing and ignore it. That worked well for me.

Apart from that, you're at 14% which is definitely in striking distance of dialysis or surgery. How fast is your EGFR going down? And how far away is the decision re: whether a family member can donate a kidney?

• Posted

Have you tried any work from home jobs, or remote jobs? If you absolutely are not looking to leave the job you currently have, you have to be prepared if you can no longer physically do it. I am a nurse, and I have CKD. I only work part time now, and have started an online Health Coach business.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.