CKD GFR in 50's Aged 25

Posted , 4 users are following.

So, I went back to the doctors today following on from my blood tests and my GFR (decreased) and creatinine level (increased) have altered slightly and the protein in my urine was so little they could hardly trace it for a figure, I thought I would be let off the hook and only have to see them again in 6 months for a check up but my doctor has requested a scan and told me to go back in 3 months for more tests. Should I be worried? I've had CKD since 2011 (when having my first child) and only just recently found it, I've been worrying myself stupid for weeks now and I was hoping my mind would be put at rest for a while but it seems they are concerned, which panics me! Do the GFR and creatinine levels jump up and down or is this a start to my kidney function decreasing and not recovering itself? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Please try not to worry (I can say this as I have been through the lot smile ) they are just keeping an eye on you.  Please just keep in a mind that a scan doesn't always show a cause, a biopsy is a good way to get a diagnosis.  Your figures can move depending on what time of day you have your bloods done, what you have been doing, what you have been eating, what meds you are on, if you have drank enough fluid, if you have a cold or infection so there are loads of things that can change them.  Have your scan and dont worry unless you have to, life is too short x

• Posted

Thank you Helen, you poor thing going through it all! I hope you are or have recovered well from it. I always think of the worse case scenario and worry myself which in itself makes me feel poorly! Thank you for your response, hopefully they just want to keep on top of it smile x
  • Posted

Hi, like the others say, try not to worry, which is sometimes easier said than done. My Egfr had been around the 50 mark ( going a little lower at times) since diagnosis more than 15 years ago. So yours might never get worse, but it's different for everyone, 6 monthly checkups are normal and it's good that they are looking for causes. Mine was discovered after an ultrasound which showed a tiny scarred kidney, I had further tests but nothing conclusive was discovered. Having Ckd hasn't affected my daily life at all except for having to take a couple of pills. My GP only reviews me once a year now but my bp is checked whenever I collect my medication. As my Ckd causes my bp to be dangerously high, but that is well controlled. 

• Posted

Carly,

It is certainly challenging not to worry--I struggle with that too. Try to focus on your children--enjoy your time with them. Right now you still have sufficient renal function. (I know--approximately 50% function really does sound terrible.) As others are saying, your function may improve and, if not, they may remain stable with this much function for a long time.

I'm keeping you in my thoughts🐶

Marj

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.