CKD IM ONLY 24yrs old

Posted , 4 users are following.

can someone help me?  i diagnose with ckd when im was 18 and now im 24 yrs old now im not feeling well i feel fatigue shortness of breath i feel bad everyday sad can you give me a tips 

base on my research baking soda is good for this situation? guys it is sage to take baking soda? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Mikael, tip #1 see a nephrologist / doctor. Whilst a good diet will give your remaining kidney function a good chance, you give very little information.

Have you been to a doctor?

Have you had blood tests, if so the results (esp GFR, creatinine etc.)?

Are you overweight / healthy?

Diabetic?

Blood pressure?

Urination OK?

Just taking sodium bicarb is not going to do too much but may help as part of the situation but you don't give detail of the situation. Please post some more and well gladly comment!

• Posted

my creatinine level is 420 😢😢

not diabetic

not highblood

thanks matt smile

• Posted

My creatinine same as you.

My tips are keep hydrated. Lots of water. Avoid high protein. Gives me running legs and restlessness.

I've been at this level for a year now.

Good luck. Happy to tell u more if u want.

• Posted

mMikael,

Do you see a nephrologist right now? If so, you should ask your nephrologist these questions. If not, you definitely need to see a nephrologist as soon as possible.

Without more specific renal panel data and CBC or hematocrit data, it's hard to know what could be causing the symptoms you're experiencing.

That being said, you describe being tired and experiencing shortness of breath. I developed severe anemia as a side effect of my CKD when my creatinine was still in the upper end of the normal range, i.e., 1.1 with eGFR of 55. My nephrologist began treating the anemia with EPO injections (Procrit) as needed. That helped a lot.

As my renal function deteriorated the anemia worsened. Today it is treated with a combination of the following:

1. Auryxia (3x daily with meals) - iron supplement and phosphorous binder

2. EPO injections (as needed) - Procrit

3. Iron IV (as needed)

My point? There are treatments that may help resolve some of the symptoms you are experiencing. BUT you have to get in to see your nephrologist to first determine what, exactly, is causing your symptoms and second devise a treatment plan that you and your nephrologist will implement to address everything.

By the way, I do take sodium bicarbonate 2x a day as prescribed by my nephrologist. It is specifically to deal with a high potassium problem that I have as another side effect of my CKD. However, I don't just take this medication. I also follow a low potassium diet (again, as prescribed). The medication further supports my low potassium diet.

My tiredness and shortness of breath have nothing to do with my high potassium levels.  When my potassium is elevated I experience changes in my pulse.

PEASE NOTE: Both low and high potassium levels are equally dangerous for your cardiovascular system. So I would definitely NOT recommend using sodium bicarbonate without a doctor's guidance. You don't want to create cardiovascular issues on top of your renal issues.

Marj

• Posted

thank you very much marj . my creatinine level is 420 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.