CKD patient since January 22, 2018.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 30 years old, fit and healthy except for my kidney. I just discovered it this year, and now I am doing Peritoneal Dialysis. So I've reach the stage 5 of it, I think so. My eGFR went as low as 3 and my creatinine went as high as 1500+. I started dialysis a month ago. (It was a complete shock to me.) I wonder if there are on PD here, who is on the cycler for a while. What do you do when you travel for 3 to 4 days?

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Knerin, 

I can't even imagine what a shock that must have been for you!! I'm currently in Stage IV with creatinine of 2.75 and eGFR of 17-18. My renal function has been in Stage V for about a year though. I began improving a little last September, thankfully.

So at this point I'm not yet on dialysis but know that is in my future. I do plan to try PD dialysis first. Consequently, I'm interested to hear what others share with you as well as anything you may choose to share with us.

Are you using the cucler right now? Of not, what are your experiences going several manual exchanges a day? Also where are you thinking of traveling? It's supposed to be fairly easy to travel when using PD. I gather that the main issue is getting the supplies shipped to your travel destination--if you're traveling out of the country I'm not sure that insurance will cover the fluid, etc.

Anyway, I'm very interested to hear what you and others have to share on this topic!

Marj

• Posted

Hi Marj,

Good to hear that you are doing better. I'm using cycler. It is convenient. I do it st night as I go to bed. And I work during the day. I have not tried using twin bags yet, so I've never done exchange. I just wanted to visit the Niagara falls. I am 500+ kms away.

Yes, me too I am interested to hear from the rest here.

I wish you well.

• Posted

Hi there, It always shocks me knowing someone didnt know about there ckd and reach such a low function when they find out, a friend of mines husband also reached 3% when he found out. I am at 9% creatinine 669, no treatment as of yet but my brother is being tested to donate to me. If you are female then there is a great Facebook page 'womens renal support group' if you are male or other (you never know) there is a renal page on facebook thats good for support xxx

• Posted

I am like others who have responded to you in hearing that you did not know you had a problem until you were at stage 5.  And so quickly put on dialysis because of it.  Especially at such a young age.  It goes without saying I wish you the best and remember you will find many wonderful supportive people here if you need it.  None can change the condition of each other, but we can all be here for each other when we reach those moments we just need someone to talk to.  People who understand, do not judge, do not give false encouragement but just share their experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.