CKD Stage 3 drop suddenly to stage 4

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, My wife has diagonysis CKD stage 3 last May during her Viral Meningities infection. since then she is under BP medication and very stable eGFR, around 30-35%.

Dec 2014, about 7=8 weeks back, doctor has increased here BP medicise from 150mg to 300mg, although her BP is very stable between 110-120/ 65-75. 2 weeks back we have seen (1st blood test after BP medicine increase) her eGFR fall down to 22% from 35%. She is other wise very well and no other typical symptons. Doctor called and advised to stop taking 300mg aand back to 150mg and repeat the blood test. If any of you so kind to let us inform whether it is common to effect the BP medication and should it be revert to original eGFR (30-35% from 22%) , after stopping 300mg? Or the further damage may caused by BP medicine is parmanently put heer down to 22%?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm not sure what country you live in as the mg your wife takes is very high in comparison to mine at stage 3 ( I take 10mg for bp) I know different countries use different terms. Also in the Uk a eGFR of 30/35 would be classed as stage 4 in the UK and not 3. Sometimes BP meds can affect blood results so it's wise to re-test. As your wife had been ill recently that can have a temporary effect also. I went from stage 3 to 4 after taking meds for an illness but after I was better I went back to stage 3. You might find that she'll go back to her original stage one shes fully recovered and no longer needs the higher dose of BP meds.
  • Posted

Hi,

I agree with Louise BP meds can effect GFR, your wife is on the edge of becoming stage 4 as its 15-29% function for this stage.  You may find if the meds have been lowed this get better but thats not a given.

• Posted

Dear Louise, Helen, thanks for your reply on this. We live in the UK and I re confirm the name of the medicine...Irbesarten 150mg / 300mg. And her illness was before 8-9months, last year May'14 and I don't think it has the effect till now.

We got the blood report today(after reduction of dose..1 week ) and it has started coming back to 27% from 22%...hope will return to her previous one.

But Louise, I believe in the UK stage 4 starting from 15 to 29...no ?

• Posted

IC9, I am CKD Stage 3.  When put on one medication (a diuretic) for BP a few months ago, my eGFR dropped 8 points in 3 weeks.  The diuretic was stopped and my eGFR recovered all but one point.  So, hopefully, your wife will have a similar experience.

I do so sympathise with her suffering from viral meningitis - I had it some 15 years ago and the head pain was horrendous.  It's quite possible that inflammatory illnesses such as this can affect the kidney function.  I do hope she is fighting fit again soon.

• Posted

Hi, yes your right about stage 4 level, sorry I misread your original post. I hope her eGFR continues to rise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.