CKD3-fluid retention getting worse

Posted , 2 users are following.

Recently have found myself gaining up to 7lbs in a day.Ok I lose it the next day when take my furosemide but should the weight gain be that much or do I need to mention it to my GP

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes, the GP is the go-to expert.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Not the most helpful reply to a patient who has kidney disease.  But as long as the rather large daily weight gain is correcting itself with the furosemide, hopefully all is well.  Meanwhile, have plenty of exercise, avoid salt and keep weight off.  There are lots of good diuretic foods you can include in your diet, including asparagus, celery etc.
    • Posted

Thanks. Luckily the weight has come off after several hours to and fro to the loo. I need to lose weight. GP was going to refer me to dietician (5months &counting)Slimming World said they do not take people with kidney disease and neither GP or I know best foods for fluid retention so it is just pot luck at present😁

• Posted

Doesn't say much for their diet if they won't take someone with kidney disease.  It isn't really a "disease" anyway in the true sense of the word, it is just reduced functioning kidneys, especially at just CKD3 - what is your eGFR by the way?  

• Posted

Has been down to 39 but last time was 58☺.Am also on methotrexate injections which can affect kidney function but am due my next blood test in 3weeks time so will find out how happy my kidneys are then
    • Posted

Oh lucky you with it having increased from 39 to 58.  I'd love to know the secret!   Not so lucky being on MTX though - is that for RA?  Hope it's doing it's job anyway and keeping you out of pain.  Good luck with the next blood test results.

• Posted

Thank you am keeping fingers crossed. Injection for inflammatory arthritis /PMR /hypermobile fingers and toes.Pain at level I can deal with smile.Life is a bundle of laughs at time.Hope you are well too
    • Posted

Oh so sorry to hear about PMR been there together with GCA and got the t-shirt.  Went into remission on steroids but it took 6 1/2 years, 5 1/2 of those on treatment.  Lots of good luck wishes and having just finished restaurant lunch am off to finish the shopping - came into Windsor today for a special treat!
    • Posted

Have a great day.So glad you have got free of PMR&GCA.I have had it on and off (mostly on)since diagnosis at 45 and will be 60 next year.You just have to get on with life and keep smiling.Lots of people worse off e.g. my housebound friend with progressive MS.Have to count our blessings ??

• Posted

I do agree about counting our blessings - a very close friend of mine is severely disabled following a stroke.   But poor you having PMR for 15 years - two members of the support group I run have had it for the same length of time, with one of them having periodic steroid injections to top up the oral ones.  I hope you manage to keep as pain-free as possible - keep smiling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.