CKD3B AND UTI

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am just experiencing my third chest infection since December - most unusual for me who rarely gets a cold. During the second bout of chest infection I had a night of frequency/urgency followed by my urine looking cloudy. This appearance has continued into this third chest infection and, although I never get UTIs, I asked if the surgery could check a urine specimen. This came back showing UTI and the Trimethoprim that I had been prescribed for three days turned out to be the wrong antibiotic to treat the bacteria. I am now to be prescribed Cefalexin for 7 days. Am concerned about taking this drug, not least because of my low kidney function (I have only one kidney with a present eGFR of 39), but also because I am allergic to penicillin - although it isn't a penicillin, the GP mentioned that anyone allergic to penicillin can have an allergic reaction to this medicine.  And I do not have a good history as far as drug side effects are concerned!  Apparently there is no other medication that will treat the bacteria involved. I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has experience with Cefalexin - it would be so reassuring to hear that it didn't impact on their CKD.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hobson's choice: More kidney damage as a result of the UTI or risk side effects from the Cefalaxin. I guess you'll soon know if the drug prescribed doesn't suit you? If the doc says take it, knowing you can be allergic to Penecillin, it's worth taking it? I had a similar experience with being prescribed the wrong antibiotic at first, but the lab results helped isolate the particular microbe (E-Coli?) and I took Nitrofurantoin successfully. However, it's not recommended for people with kidney problems, which I now have. I haven't any experience with Cefalaxin

• Posted

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, Pepasan.  Well, I've taken the bull by the horns and started the Cefalexin yesterday.  The GP who prescribed it last Friday asked me to get an appointment yesterday to get my chest re-checked in case we needed to add yet another antibiotic if necessary.  I saw a locum yesterday who was very thorough in sounding my chest and also asking me to produce another urine specimen.  I knew things had worsened the previous evening so being told the infection was still there wasn't a surprise.  It wasn't getting better on its own which the first Dr said was a possibility.  I asked what the bacteria was and it was E-Coli.  After asking me if I'd ever taken Nitrofurantoin (I hadn't), he obviously did some research whilst I was in the loo, and told me that whilst Nitrofurantoin ruled out the risk of side effects relating to the Penicillin link with Cefalexin, it was more likely to affect my kidney function than the Cefalexin.  So a catch-22 and I decided to take the risk with the Cefalexin.  Had 3 pills so far and strangely have been experiencing some extra pain - I guess that is just coincidence and was probably heading in that direction before starting the Cefalexin.  I've been given a blood test form to get my kidney function checked after 7 days, plus a specimen bottle for another check if I feel better.  The Trimethoprim made me feel very sick over that 3 days and my stomach has only just settled - crossing fingers it stays that way!  I thought the Doc's opinion of the Nitrofurantoin might be of interest to you but I hope you manage to stay infection-free. 

• Posted

Hi Mrs O,

You are in a bit of a catch 22, don't take the drug and the UTI and chest infection will almost certainly make your GFR go for a dive (Mine never recovered after chest infections) or take the drug and the risk be the same.  I would have a go and see how you get on, if it doesn't suit then speak with your dr again.  I am allergic to penacilin too, if there is no other choice then perhaps give it ago and see how you get on.  I wish you the very best, you are a very tough lady so I have no doubt that you will beat this x

• Posted

Hi there, Helen, and many thanks for your words of wisdom.  I was probably being a bit of a drama queen over this UTI, telling the Dr yesterday that the only time I had UTI's was throughout my childhood which led to having a kidney removed, and thus getting this UTI out-of-the-blue stirred up those childhood years of horrid pain, not to mention the outcome.  He was really sympathetic saying that he could well understand my anxiety.  It's  really a battle trying to protect the remaining kidney from further deterioration, but I don't need to tell you of all people about that - you have had the mother-of-all experiences kidney-wise over the years and you are truly amazing what you have come through.  Stay well.

• Posted

Thanks for the info on Nitrofurantoin. I think it was that which did soe kidney damage, but then so did the infections no doubt, and it was the Antibiotic which worked for me - so that was my GPs Catc-22 for me, I guess. Luckily I haven't had to use it since early 2016, so my infection problems are finished (for now, at least!) Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.