Claiming JSA and received no National Insurance contributions 2017/18

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was claiming JSA on and off during the 2017/18 tax year. During this time I was claiming for only National Insurance contributions. Each time I claimed there was normally a problem and the local Jobcentre went out of their way to try to discourage me to claim.  Many of the claims resulted in me having to  submit Mandatory Reconsideration notices with the resulting rulings in my favour every time.

I have just checked my 2017/18 National Insurance record and there are no credits for the 2017/18 tax year. I have contacted HMRC via telephone and it was confirmed that no NI contributions were credited to me during the 2017/18 tax year. It was suggested that I contact the DWP to follow up?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to who to contact at the DWP so I can follow this up? I would prefer to contact via email or regular mail as there is a trail..... I find when talking to DWP via telephone nothing ever gets done.


0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

  • Posted


    There's no email address for DWP that i know of. If you want proof that you contacted them about this then you'll need to put it in writing and send it recorded delivery, so that you know it's been signed for. It's not proof that it's arrived at the department but it's certainly proof that you sent it and it was signed for. As it was for JSA then you will need to sent it to that address.

    I'm guessing you signed on each week and kept to your JSA agreement for the time you claimed? Even though it was NI contributions only, you would have still had to keep to your agreement.

    • Posted

      I believe you posted about a month ago asking about your NI Contributions, did you contact HMRC to ask them to chase it up for you, as was advised in your previous post?
    • Posted

      Yes, I contacted the HMRC and they have no details of any NI credits made by the DWP. They suggested that I contact the DWP, hence my request for DWP contact details. 
    • Posted

      I believe the address could be different for all areas, so i'd ring them to ask them for the address so you can write to them. There's no way of emailing them that i know of.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.