Claiming pip with depression

Posted , 6 users are following.

I actually posting on behalf of my mother (I'm her carer) she has he'd DLA foramy years due to her depression and now of course she is having to change to pip, now to add to things she has had a stroke but we was told it wouldn't male any difference to her DLA claim so we didnt mention it so o would just like to know has anyone been successful on getting pip through depression which includes agoraphobia and panic attacks and also anyone whos had a stroke , she is so concerned about this but I feel so helpless the forms have all been sent with as much information we could get which isn't a lot.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gemma

PIP is based on a points scoring system and you have to reach 8 points for standard care (in DLA Middle Rate) and 12 points for enhanced care (in DLA Higher Rate).

You never claim PIP simply on the basis of depression or indeed a stroke. They are very important contributory factors and form the first criteria of a PIP claim but it is how those conditions affect you (or in this case your Mother) which forms the main body of a PIP claim.

There are ten descriptors and you have to choose which ones are relevant and then prove on a balance of probabilities that this care is required.

For Mental Health (which depression is described as) the descriptors mainly revolve around the ‘prompting’ or ‘assistance’. These options are available in Preparing food, Taking nutrition, Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition, Washing and bathing, Managing toilet needs or incontinence, Dressing and undressing, Reading and understanding signs, symbols and words,  Engaging with other people face to face and Making budgeting decisions.

You need to select and explain why those descriptors apply to your Mother.

Same thing for the stroke; I know people who have had a stroke but have suffered no physical impairment. In that situation it is highly unlikely they would be entitled to PIP.

However, the opposite can be true if the stroke left severe physical impairment. Again you to choose the descriptor which most likely reflects the care you have to provide for your Mother. Use the worst days as reference and basically ignore any good days.

Keep the explanations reasonable, do-not refer to Health Care Professionals as not qualified to assess or other PIP claimants you or anyone else believes shouldn’t be entitled whilst you are as that will simply harm your claim, it will in no-way help it.

Finally at the assessment do-not allow your Mother to carry out any super human tasks out of pride, help her as you normally would.

• Posted

As she has had a stroke this is a change in circumstances so I would apply for PIPS. I have been awarded PIPS due to having had Fibromyalgia for 8 years and having just had shoulder surgery. It us certainly worth applying for. One thing that adds points is how dependent she is on other people due to not being able to cut up her meat, being agoraphobic etc. I also was hospitalised for four days last year due to severe panic attacks. Good luck
  • Posted

Thank you for the replies, she does rely on the help of others me mainly the stroke has left her partially blind and partially death it have also effected her balance and way of thinking, I basically have to be in control of all her meal making, bill payments and also having to get her in and out of the bath to wash if I didnt make her wash she wouldn't she already has bed sores in places because of this issue. To some this may not mean much so I'm not gonna get my hopes up that she will get help when the assesment comes around we will just be completely honest and see what happens, I will keep you updated on her journey
    • Posted

Hi Gemma,

Just a quick note... I assume you are in the UK, and the area is within which District Nurses operate. If you contact your mothers doctor, and ask for a Hospital Bed.

The reason for this is, is because your mother would be prone to bed sores without your help a Hospital Bed comes with a massaging mattress, this plugs in to the mains and goes in to a Unit which is attached to the footrest of the bed, a dual rubber pipe comes out and plugs into the mattress which alternates pockets of air within the mattress, this in itself can make one sleep better at night.

Electric Beds are provided by District Nurses, but you need your mothers Doctor to ask for one to be installed, they are normally dispatched and fitted within 2-3 days of the request. They come with a remote so you can higher or lower the bed, or put it in a sitting up position, they are also good for bad circulation - which is why I have one one.

Believe me, just having an Electric Bed is a godsend, some people may think it is lazy - but it isn't, when I consider my wifes health is not too good, hence trying to get me out of bed and dressed is difficult and was placing additional strain on her back.

I hope that is of some help to you, there are many aids out there that can help you. You can contact Adult Care Services of your local council and ask for a full review, they can help in many ways to make your mums life a little better, and they would send out an Occupational Therapist to access your mum.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Amongst my many ailments, both mental and physical, I was diagnosed with early onset dementia nearly two years ago. The DWP don't know about that recent development as i didn't want to rock the boat - HRM & MRC.

When I go over to PIP I am not expecting to get anything even with that and my other problems.

But good luck to mother - from what I gather, you have to be drawing your last breath to get PIP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.