Clarification for my own education

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey guys.

Well, this is not specifically cataract related but I am always trying to understand the vision system better, so I will ask a few technical questions if you don’t mind.

Is the natural lens considered both a convex (front) and concave (back) lens since light passes thru it first as focused light and second as dispersed light?

Thanks for shedding any “light” on the subject. I hope it’s ok to ask a few more.

Dan

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I think the most common lens, natural and IOL is bioconvex which means curved out on both sides. In IOLs there are also plano convex which is flat on one side and curved out on the other. Then there are meniscus lenses which are curved in on both sides and are used for extreme myopia. Google this for more information.

Why Lens Geometry is Important for IOL Calcs

• Edited

Both sides of the natural lens are convex although the front is less curved. The exiting light is not dispersed, it's focused. I think of the lens as a fine tuner. The cornea does most of the focusing and the lens does the rest (and allows for accommodation in young eyes to change your focus point).

• Posted

but that makes no sense to me. if one has a long eyeball and far vision is falling short of the retina due to myopia, u want light dispersed, not focused. unless the light from each crosses before the iol. please explain..thx

• Posted

You might want the light dispersed further, but in myopia that is not what happens. Myopia is a defect in vision, and in your example it is caused by the long eyeball. The lens of the eye remains biconvex regardless.

To correct myopia, we use eyeglass lenses that are concave, not convex. I imagine something similar is done with intraocular lenses, involving a lesser degree of convexity than would be appropriate for eyeballs of shorter length.

• Posted

Yes, IOLs are optically convex down to 0.0 D power, and then become concave as the power goes negative below zero. These are only used in extreme cases of myopia. And, I say optically because the front and back surfaces can be concave or convex but the sum of them is what counts. In very low powers the lens switches to a meniscus design which can be concave on front and back.

• Posted

so when someone is -6d myopia from too long axial length, the concave eyeglass lens is considered a negative power to correct for distant vision? is this correct?

and instead of saying the cornea and iol combined are "too powerful" for the vision structure, would it not be more accurate to say they are just right for a normal axial length eye?

thx

• Edited

You have to keep in mind that eyeglass or contact lens refraction numbers are on a different scale than IOL powers. That is because with a normal length eye that requires no eyeglass or contact correction the required IOL power to maintain that balance is about 18-19 D in power. Myopic eyes with the cornea and lens combined are too powerful to focus on the retina without correction. They focus short of the retina (short sighted). For that reason a power of less than 18 D is used for the IOL to correct this short focus error. An approximate estimate of what IOL power is needed can be made by multiplying your eye refraction times 1.25 and adding 18.0 to the result. For a -6.0 eye this would be:

(-6.0x1.25) + 18.0 = 10.5 D

The IOL powers do not start to become negative until the myopia is much worse than that. Your eye refraction would have to be up into the -14 to -15 range before you get to the point of needing a negative power IOL.

• Posted

what is the reason for multiplying the refraction times 1.25? is that spherical equivalent? if so, isnt spherical equivalent sphere plus 50% of cylinder?

• Posted

and back to the eyeglass questions. i understand the difference in scale between glasses/contacts and iol, but lets say i still have my natural lens with the requisite +18-19 D in power but due to axial length, im still short sited. is my -6D concave eyeglass lens REDUCING the power to get me down near the +10.5 or so i need to reach plano? just trying to understand. thx

• Posted

It has nothing to do with spherical equivalent. The reason is due to the difference between the distance from the retina to the lens, and the retina to the cornea. The lens is closer to the retina than the cornea. It takes a higher power effect at the lens plane to have the same effect as a lower power at the cornea. Standard eyeglass refraction is based on the cornea plane. So if you are 6 D off at the cornea you need 1.25 x 6.0 D at the lens plane. IOLs powers are measured at the lens plane. That is why you don't get a 0.5 D step in reference refraction with a 0.5 D step in the lens power. It is more like a 0.375 D step at the cornea plane.

• Posted

A -6.0 D eyeglass lens actually opens up the convergence of light due to the combination of the cornea and the natural lens bending the light too much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.