Clarification needed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Sorry..this is the 3nd time I’ve posted this as didn’t have any replies to first post. 

I was told approx 4 years ago I have both Type 1 and 2. It was confirmed by a vaginal swab. I get breakouts on my thigh, had it in my calf and obviously vagina.

I can’t get my head round the difference with the Types and why I get breakouts on off places. Can someone please explain in laymen’s terms...

Many thanks 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Your question is too general and there are many sites that clearly explain the differences, which is probably why nobody has answered. Look up herpes on ASHA, CDC, NHS or here, for starters.
  • Posted

Thanks for the unhelpful advice but these are things I have read and am still somewhat confused. I’ll try your sites if I haven’t already read them to try and figure it out again 
  • Posted

So basically, Type 1 prefers the mouth and Type 2 prefers the genitals but it is obvious that they can still affect other places. Type 1 on your genitals tends to break out and shed less than Type 2 and Type 2 on your mouth tends to breakout and shed less than Type 1. So we know all that right? As for why you get breakouts other places, the only things I can think of are either you have touched one part of your body while it was affected and then touched another unaffected part of your body, transferring the virus ooooor it could be shingles? Shingles is a part of the herpes family and it can affect anywhere on the body, usually the back or shoulder or neck though, but as I said it can affect anywhere. Have you ever gotten a blood test to confirm your diagnosis?
  • Posted

Thank you so much for that. 

No, no bloods taken. I’ve only ever had the initial swab. Because my breakouts are new and far between, I was told next time I had it on the leg to go and get it swabbed as shingles had been mentioned before. 

Again..thank you

• Posted

Once infected for four months, you should be immune from getting it elsewhere, so it's unlikely you spread it. Herpes infects certain nerve bodies serving an area of the body, so if it is in fact herpes, it's likely due to that, although genital herpes is normally confined to the boxer shorts region (so, not normally lower legs). Getting it swabbed is a good idea to rule herpes/ shingles in or out. Shingles shouldn't recur very often and there is a shot for that.

That's unfortunate you find those sites unhelpful and confusing, as they're a good starting point and clearly explain herpes and the different types. Perhaps it would be better if you narrowed your questions to what you are actually confused about. Broad, sweeping questions are also unhelpful.

• Posted

So what if you have  Ghsv1 and your partner has it orally can he still get it genitally? Also does a herpe ever look just like a bump? No blister or opening and only one? 
    • Posted

If the partner has had it for 4 months, then he should not get it genitally. There may be exceptions, but generally speaking, no. Yes, herpes can skip the blister phase and look like a single bump, although it will usually open and feel sore. Depends on the skin to an extent, e.g., regular vs mucosal.
    • Posted

Sorry last ? It's mucosal but I've doubled my meds since Thursday and no change it hasn't opened. 

• Posted

It's not an obviously different change and Thursday is still fairly recent. Is the area swollen, sore?

• Posted

Only the bump is sore not the area around it. It just doesn't look like my initial outbreak.  I was more worried about the risk to my partner even though he has had cold sores in the years past. I really appreciate your help.  

• Posted

Further to this..

I have read that if your partner has Type1 it is harder to pass on Type2 as they carry a strain of herpes/are immuned...Is this correct? 

• Posted

Studies are less clear in this regard, and if there is any protective effect, it is minimal. Having HSV1 does not offer significant protection, but it does increase the tendency for subsequent HSV2 to be asymptomatic. Also, the opposite is true. HSV2 does protect against subsequent HSV1.
  • Posted

Oregano oil has been my saviour. Look it up. Hope this helps
    • Posted

How do you use this and how do you find it helps?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.