Clarification please

Posted , 8 users are following.

I keep reading about MUA. I have googled the word but cant find out its meaning. Can someone tell me what exactly it is and what is done. Thanks. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

As Veronica says...manipulation u dear general anaesthetic - I've had one on each knee.  You are u dear anaesthetic for about 30 mins, whilst the knee is bent to tear the adhesions that have formed.  My consultant said that it sounds like hessian ripping!  Quite often, you wake up already on a continuous passive motion machine, which then keeps the knee moving.  The knee may ache a bit after, but working is much easier and good progress should then be made.

I had MUA because I had got to the point where I couldn't straighten my leg.  My 1st MUA was successful...the 2nd one not, so I am going back in next month to have the knee opened up again.

Patsy

• Posted

HI Psycho ( smile ) ... I go in for one this wednesday ... I'll tell you all about it. I heard the same thing ... it sounds the same as when you are breaking a chicken leg apart - like cartiledge crackling ... I went in this afternoon for pre-op in-take questions and asked if they do sedation along with the epidural (YES!) ... as I am pretty sure I don't want to hear it for myself.
  • Posted

M.U.A. its manipulation under anesthetic ,thats what the letters stand for, they put you under anesthetic for 15-30 mins and bend the leg it is done when you are struggling to bend your leg usualy your bend is less than 90deg and if thats so it can help to get more bend you could not do this if your awake as it would seriously hurt ,it is sucessfull in alot of cases ,and after intensive physio to maintain the bend without the intensive physio it might not keep the new bend    also some M.U.A. are done through keyhole surgery to cut  or burn through the scar tissue because sometimes the scar tissue is very hard and to bend without keyhole it could break the leg so the keyhole incision it can be easier to bend without fear of breaking i myself did have keyhole M.U.A.
  • Posted

They put you to sleep or very heavy sedation, then the surgeon literally forces the knee as far back as he can go. That's it. He will do it a few times. Seen it done many many times in OR

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.