Clarithromycin causing anxiety and depression

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on clarithromycin and linezolid since October 2017 and have since had the worst anxiety and depression of my life.  I was doing just fine before starting them and then over the course of several weeks, my mental health drastically declined.  Studying and going to class became impossible as I was having panic attacks every 15-20 minutes.  At my worst, I couldn't sleep.  I still suffer from invasive thoughts and have to constantly stay occupied to mitigate the depression and anxiety.  It's been horrible.  Now I'm on several psychiatric medications to combat the symptoms until I'm off these antibiotics in September 2018.

Has anyone else had similar side effects, and if so, how long did it take for you to bounce back to normal once you finished your course of antibiotics?  I'm supposed to start school again in January 2019 and I'm so afraid that I won't be back to "normal" soon enough

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yes. Antibiotics destroy your gut which is where your neurotransmitters are produced. I’ve had this over a year now. 

• Posted

lots of side effects...

Ive taken Clarithromycin from january. First I had 500mg/day for few months and It was changed to 1000mg/day. My side effects during first months  was occasionally headache/sleepy/not sleeping(wake up during night)/nausea/rash. When It was changed to 1000mg/d I started to have panic attacks often, (which have always been there but only minor ones that I have been able to deal with and like 2 times in 6 months). Also nausea changed to constant and I started to vomit occasionally, (like reflux). I sit home and think how bad I feel, stress bout nausea, and anxiety is high. Also I kinda feel down. I have one month left of these, and at the moment Im thinking I cant eat these anymore. But I dont have that option, apparently clarithromycin is one to go with. 

Sorry about language(not native English)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.