Clarithromycin causing anxiety and heart palpitations

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. i hope someone can give me some advice. I've been on multiple courses of antibiotics, mainly metronidazole, and the latest was a week on clarithromycin.

The metronidazole left me feeling tired, but since finishing the claritromycin 10 days ago , I've been feeling like I've had my stomach ripped out. I'm getting severe heart palpitations, feel cold, and waking up with nausea and anxiety and an acid burn in my stomach. The nausea, stomach cramps and anxiety comes and goes during the day. My GP says there is nothing to worry about. Can anyone advise on this and are these side effects normal with clarithromycin.

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Hi al,

Did you improve? I'm going through the same thing at the moment. I'm 2 days off those antibiotics. Have seen alot of posts on here actually regarding anxiety and Clarithromycin! very worrying.... x

• Edited

Hi. im feeling better and eventually my energy levels have increased. I believe my palpitations have been caused by my stomach being messed up after the antibiotics. The palpitations only started after the antibiotics. if they had started long before, id have been more worried. i can still feel acid burn in my stomach, and this is causing the heartbeat to skip. i saw a post from someone also having the same problems, and he recommended gaviscon. ive also been booked in for an ecg, just to check things are ok.

• Posted

hi i seem to be able to comment on posts but not start my own can you point me in the right direction of how to do this please xxx

• Posted

you need to do it on a laptop i think. thats the only way i can add new posts myself. x

• Posted

It depends on the size of the dosage. My advice is speak to your GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.