Clarithromycin feel nervous and really sick

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've recently just finished a course of amoxicillin for a chest infection but now I have been put on a second course of antibiotics which are the clarithromycin 2 a day 500 mg ...I have only yet taken one tablet and I started feeling very shakey and nervous and sweaty but was fine before I took it has this happened to anybody else? 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry my reply is a little late and I hope you are now feeling better. I had two courses of Clarithromycin last year and each time I had the same symptoms as you. I had to stick it out as the infection was responding really well to this but they made me so ill in other ways.  

I don't think I will take them again and my Dr will have to find another that works just as well without the side effects. 

• Posted

Yep they are really strong I was told to stop straight away my chest was clear after my first set of antibiotics don't know why I was even prescribed these just made me worse than I was...

Hope you are well x

• Posted

Yes , I have similar symptoms . It has only just clicked that it is the tablets doing it. They were the worse side effects I have ever had and I really felt as if I was loosing my mind !"  I feel very anxious, afraid and faint . I have been tearful and un steady on my feet all week and unable to eat due to the sickness .

• Posted

If you are losing your appetite and feeling anxious you should go back do the doctors. I only took them for one day and I couldn't eat properly for a few days and I had that metallic taste for days they are very strong. If you cannot eat or drink from them go back to your gp and just make sure if you can continue taking them I was told to stop. Hope you get well soon xx
  • Posted

Dear Sam, Just  to let you know that a few months back in October2014I took a really bad chest infection, which almost developed into pneumonia in my right lung, I was immediately started on Amoxicillin, after 10 days things were no better and was prescribed Clarithromycin.  I wasextremely nauseated, had the most foul taste in my mouth, no appetite and losing about 2lbs in weight a day!  It took another course of Clarithromycin to notice any difference, and before I got rid of the crepitations ( crackling noises ) at the baase of my lung.  It has taken me up to Cristmas before I could even get the energy to drive my car to the local shops 5 miles away.  I was extremely depressed and thought that I would never recover from that.  However, I now have my energy back, my breathing is much better, and seem to be well over the worst of that awful infection.  Bare with it and you will get well too, it just takes time.  I have replied to others in the groups and ask that you read some of them.  I hope that you can gain some comfort and support from my words and wish you a speedy recovery and best wishes for the New Year to you and yours.  It will soon be Spring!  As I write this reply to you we are under 8 inches of snow and there is a blizzard still blowing from last night.  I am so glad I kicked that infection to touch!
  • Posted

Thank you for your comments. I am now feeling much better. I stopped the clarithromycin straight away as they were to strong for me with that I was also given an inhaler to help me breathe. I got a side effect of the inhaler which caused me to have breathing problem the paramedic listened to my chest and said it was clear after my amoxocillin course so she couldn't understand why they would give me a second course of antibiotics and inhaler. She told me to stop taking both and told me to get rest and drink plenty and let my body fight it naturally, So I did just that It took long 4 weeks but I have now recovered.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.