Cleaning Ear Canals

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I have an infection in both ears.

The doctor prescribed Otomize spray, three time a day.

I am wondering how I should clean my ear canals?

Should we clean our ear canals?

Comments on Otomize also welcome

UK resident.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Otomize is fine if used correctly.   Dont even think about cleaning your ear canals. The ears are self cleaning. If you think they are blocked/infected etc let a doctor look at them and decide on any treatment. Using cotton buds etc can introduce infections and can also push wax further into the ears to make it compact.

As my doctor is very fond of saying "The only thing you should put in your ears is your elbow" 

If the infections in your ears dont clear,go back to your doctor.

• Posted

I agree with your comments.

It appears that cleaning the ear canals with soap and water is not recommended. I assume that if water does get into the canals it should just run out.

Regarding Otomize. It seems to be working, although, it does sting in the first,say, 30 seconds.

The infection is probably in the external ear canals (Otitis Externa). I had a cold prior to the ear infections and assumed that the viruses/bacteria entered via the Eustachian tube. But, this is probably not the case since this would have affected the middle ear.

I am at a loss as to how my canals (both  ears) became infected. I used the same cleaning method (soap/water and flushing) for decades without any trouble. From now on, no cleaning

Regards

• Posted

Interestingly, I have talked with two independent pharmacists. Both take the view that using soap and water on the finger and rinsing with water is fine for cleaning ear canals.

I am not sure if they are best left, because they are self cleaning, or, if the pharmacists advice is correct.

• Posted

I have now been using Otomize for just over a week,

I am still getting the stinging sensation, but it fades.

According to the nurse, the inflammation has resolved; however, I believe that the problem, although resolving, is still present.

For how long can I safely use Otomize? The instructions say use for a couple of days after resolution.

When I no longer have a stinging sensation, does this indicate the absence of infection?

I am surprised that the manufacturers of Otomize say that stinging should resolve in a couple of days. Otomize contains mostly acetic acid. I would expect stinging when using this preparation for this reason, and the fact that the ear canals are a sensitive area of the body.

Let me know what you think

• Posted

If you have been told the inflammation has subsided then you should only be using the Otomize for a few more days,and then stop. It contains acetic acid to make the ear canal an acidic environment for the active drug to work.

If after stopping the Otomize for 2 weeks you still feel the ear is "not right" do go back to your GP,but no poking anything in that ear canal.  Once you have stopped the Otomize dont start reusing it as it is now contaminated. Throw it away.

• Posted

The nurse said that I can stop using Optomize. I have used it for a week. I would like to continue for a couple of days, but it still stings.

I am now cautious regarding the washing of the ears and only just enter the end of the canal, rinsing off the soap and drying.

I have never had ear problems before and always washed in the same fashion. I don't know what caused the problem, and in both ears.

I have never put anything into the canal other than a finger - no obvious trauma, and soap and water.

• Posted

According to an online patient information leaflet for Otomize, acetic acid is used to create an acidic environment as this discourages the growth of bacteria. It appears that acetic acid is an antibacterial agent, but the acidic environment helps to prevent propagation.

You mentioned two weeks before returning to the GP. I was wondering if after using Otomize there may be some acetic acid crystals within the ear that could irritate the membrane and will take a while to self-clean

• Posted

I stopped using Otomize a week ago.

The right ear appears to be alright during the day. But, at night, when I am in bed and lying of the right side with the ear on the pillow I notice a wet solution (clear, no smell) around the ear.

Could this be an after effect of the Otomize spay, and is likely to clear up; or, should I conatct my GP?

The left ear does not discharge at night (also treated with Otomize spray, same time period)

• Posted

I returned to the doctor and he prescribed Gentamicin drops. These seemed to have cleared the infection. I am a little deaf in the right ear, but the doctor said that this would pass. I have also noted some crackling in the ear on occasions.

Why am I a little deaf in one ear after the gentamicin treatment. What is the source of the crackling?

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.