Clear Bloods and Ultrasound

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I've been a heavy drinker for the best art of a decade and over the last few years I've experienced a lot of symptoms that could suggest liver disease. Symptoms that came and went include itchy skin, white stools, headaches, fatigue, pain under ribs. I gave up drinking recently and feel great. I am exercising, have a healthy weight and feel healthy. I bit the bullet and went for some tests, my bloods came back normal, as did an ultrasound. Is it possible to still have cirrhosis or significant scarring of the liver but have a clear ultrasound and bloods? The lady administrating the ultrasound told me that if I had scarring it was minimal because she couldn't see it. Should I be still worried? My US results are below. Thank you in advance, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Indication: Assess liver.

Findings:: The liver is normal in size and parenchymal echogenicity without focal

parenchymal abnormality.

No intrahepatic or extrahepatic biliary dilatation is seen.

No gallstones, gallbladder mural thickening or pericholecystic fluid.

The spleen, pancreas and both kidneys are of normal size and parenchymal echogenicity.

The abdominal aorta is normal in appearance.

No ascites.

Impression: Normal study

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi I think after your symptoms you seem to have had a lucky escape, steer clear of the drink, continue doing the lifestyle changes and monitor your health, redo bloods maybe after 6 months if you have no further issues, if you do experience any further problems then go and see your Dr ASAP don't think its a good idea to think oh I'm good and revert back to your previous lifestyle, you may not be so luck next time.

• Posted

Hi Alexandria. I haven't had a drink in three months and never want to go down that road again. I drank almost a bottle of vodka a day most days for years, I guess I was what some refer to as a functioning alcoholic. However with the benefit of hindsight and a clear head I realize now I was far from functioning and can't believe how stupid I was. I've heard of people with clear ultrasounds and bloods only to find out they have cirrhosis, and considering what abuse I put my body through I find it difficult to believe I escaped serious injury. Would liver damage always show on an ultrasound? I'm considering getting a fibroscan.

And thank you so much for taking the time to reply, much appreciated

• Posted

Hi when you say how long you drank for I would imagine that you may have put yourselves at high risk, its not cut and dried that your home free but your on the right track, let's hope that its not too late, I'm sure its not, exactly how long did you punish yourself for and how old are you now, its a big wakeup call to realise what we can do to our bodies all the while kidding ourselves it want happen to us, a fibre scan would possibly give you a bit better diagnosis but are you in UK if so I would suggest going back to your GP being completely honest and ask for there advice, was it a CT scan or MRI you had

• Posted

Hopefully it's not too late but if it is I have only myself to blame. I'm 42 now and I guess I've been drinking heavily for the best part of a decade, with a few breaks in between. I changed my lifestyle because I felt really ill and just sick of drinking. I have a fibroscan appointment for tomorrow morning so fingers crossed. I had an Ultrasound previously. 

• Posted

Shaved Goat, It is my understanding that the only way to be completely positive of the existence or absence of Cirrhosis is a liver biopsy. I too have had the blood tests and ultrasound, the blood work all came back within normal limits. The ultrasound showed cysts in the liver and polyps in the gallbladder. On recommendation of the surgeon, I've had the gallbladder removed. However, I did explain my concern about Cirrhosis prior to the surgery and the liver biopsy was added to the surgery performed one week ago yesterday. I should have my results by next Friday. To be continued.......

• Posted

Hi Trish. Best of luck with your results Friday. I have a fibroscan tomorrow morning so I should know more then. 
    • Posted

Yes I agree, I truly hope you will use your judgement to make sure your liver stays safe, I'm really pleased for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.