Clear discharge and pain in ear

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have 2 flights, first flight in 26hrs time.

My ear is throbbing, feeling very full (echo), buzzing sounds, clear discharge and pain. It has been like this for 6 hours.

I flew 3 small flights 2 days ago which gave me huge headaches and blood in my nose, which still hasn't stopped bleeding (bloody mucus).

I'm slightly worried about flying again due to the blood in my nose and also my new ear problem.

I'm on holiday so would like to get home.

Do I need to see a Dr / would I be okay to fly a 7hr flight and a 4hr flight?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ah Danny I thought I was bad after my flights, but you are having it rough.  Did you try putting a warm compress to your ear?  I use a face cloth, it seems to ease the pain a lot.  Mind you I’m just at the crackling, squelching bloody annoying stage with my two - but it totally drains you and thumping headache every evening. On the bright side!?  you could be stuck away from home trying to get sorted. 
    • Posted

Are yours starting to get any better?

I've used a hot compress and face cloth, for me it's more relaxing than pain easing.

I'm on max strength co-codamol (codeine) with x2 paracetamol and it's just taking the edge off the pain.

Been to ENT to get it all drained and antibiotic cream inserted onto the eardrum... unfortunately within 30mins it was back full of puss, literally dripping out of my ear.

I'm on co-ammoxiclav which is the strangest oral antibiotic they can prescribe and it's use is tightly monitored but I only have 2 days supply left and so far, no improvement.

Seems like it will have to be IV antibiotics (straight into the vein) and surgery to relieve the pressure and get rid of the puss from behind the eardrum. I'm waiting on the word from the ENT surgical team now but my GP thinks I will likely be admitted to hospital on Friday, when I see the ENT team again.

And my work asked me to come in to do light duties... I.e. tasks and archiving patient notes .... somehow I think infection control at the hospital (where I work) would get crazy if I went in 😂 no chance boss hahaa

• Posted

You are on some journey- I was here feeling very fed up of my two blocked ears & then I see what’s going on with you.  Every day I get up hoping it’s the day “nature has taken its course” but while the pressure is nowhere as bad they’re still blocked, I’m still dizzy & tired of it.  I’ve tried everything people kindly suggested but no go..  I’m on a tablet for balance I’ve a few days to go on that, so I will keeping hoping nature gets its skates on!  All I can say is I hope you get to the bottom of the problem ASAP & get ease, as for work, well that will just have to wait until you get sorted.  You have more important things to worry about.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.