clear endoscopy whats next?

Posted , 5 users are following.

so im a 22 year old guy that started having stomach discomfort, lots of burping and chest and back pain but at a exact location like if something was stabing me 7 months ago. i have been throught many hospital test like blood test, fecal test, x ray, can scan, and electrocardiogram but all of them have come clear or with nothing anormal.

finally my doctor prescribed me with zantac and asked me to follow a gastritis diet which i did which seems to kind of help me with the pain but gave me acid coming up my throat wich i didnt have before i took zantac, so my doctor did an endoscopy and took samples but it came back clear with no signs of gastritis or h piory 

so i dont know what to do next my doctor still believes is gastritis so she told me to keep on zantac and wait until february to see what happen.

what it could be? and can gastritis give you that chest and back stabing pain?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would have thought if you had gastritis, it would have shown up in the endoscopy.  Ask your doctor about GERD (acid reflux) which can cause indigestion symptoms like burping, chest pain and acid.  If you didn't have acid before you took Zantac, perhaps you are intolerant to it.  Try a different over the counter medication or ask your doctor for something else. You could also see another doctor for a second opinion.  I had lots of acid and chest pain as a student and so I had an endoscopy which showed nothing.  It was suggested I had a weak oesophagal sphincter which was causing the acid to flow back up into my throat.  I was put on omeprazole which worked but I found over the counter antacids just as good and saved me bothering with prescrptions all the time.  

Was a hiatus hernia ruled out?

• Posted

Thank you soo much for your response. it seems that you have a similar situation to mine, after your clear endoscopy did you have to take antacids everyday?and isnt GERD visible throught endoscopy?
    • Posted

Yes Hiatus hernia was ruled out too
    • Posted

I did take omeprazole everyday for a short period after the endoscopy and after a while, the acid reduced and so I stopped taking PPIs and took over the counter antacids but not everyday.  My endoscopy showed no visible reason for the hearburn. So I have GERD but no evidence of it when tested.  I don't know if GERD normally shows up in endoscopy. I was surprised it didn't show in my case because I had and still have the symptoms.

• Posted

Yes, actually acid reducing drugs can make these things worse. They reduce acid so radically that the stomach stop working properly. This can actually cause acid reflux and make the thing you were given it for worse. It's a known phenomena of these drugs, they worsen it.

Do you: Smoke, drink alcohol, take any other drugs, eat unhealthy or much fat, eat much candy?

• Posted

Before all the symptoms appeared I;

-never smoke

-probably have 4 beers in my whole life

-didnt took any medication or vitamins 

-skip some meals (specially breakfast) during school but i tend to eat mostly homemade food

• Posted

The pancreas is many times the culprit when there is simultaneous chest and back pain.  Perhaps you can ask for an ultrasound which is a cheap and easy test to conduct.  Also ask about intercostal neurolgia.  This can cause stabbing chest pain. 

Many times people have symptoms that are never met with an organic diagnosis.  People's bodies do all sorts of crazy sh!t and doctors can never help.  The mayo clinic is full of people with huge medical charts and no real diagnosis.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.