Clear lens extraction - no cataracts

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've been saddled with myopia my entire life and at my late 60's want to be done with it. I held off getting LASIK due to horror stories but I know people who have enjoyed good vision for years. I was going to get PRK as I read that's what opthalmologists get. But the eye doctor is trying to talk me into CLE. I don't like the thought of something irreversible done to my eyes.

Has anyone here had it done and what was your outcome - good or bad? Thank you.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

if your natural lenses are still clear, and you want a reversible treatment, have you considered icl? I was offered these implantable contact lenses by an opthalmologist -- she said they can be removed later when/if cataract surgery is needed. This way you retain whatever level of accomodation you still have in your natural lens. New intraocular lenses are being developed all the time and when you actually need cataract surgery in some years there may be better options!

• Edited

The possible outcomes are the same as the outcomes of people who had lens replacement because of cataracts. There are many lenses to choose from, and many individual outcomes, both good and bad. Spend some time reading this forum and you will learn a lot. Only you can decide what your risk tolerance is. There is definitely some risk.

A doctor trying to talk you into this seems questionable to me. But I do see plenty of ads for clear lens exchange. CLE, what a catchy marketing term!

• Posted

A doctor trying to talk you into this seems questionable to me. But I do see plenty of ads for clear lens exchange. CLE, what a catchy marketing term!

I think it is a fair term.

The attraction to CLE is that you are not going to develop cataracts in that eye, so no later surgery is anticipated. The downside includes losing the focusing ability.

For somebody age 30 with a very strong myopia, the ICL looks very attractive. Late 60s, different story IMO.

• Edited

Maybe for some, but when I was 30 there was no way I would have done it. I never did Lasik for the same reason. What if something goes wrong? (I feel the same way about cosmetic surgery, which is what CLE is a form of.)

• Posted

losing ones focusing ability in their 30s seems way more tragic than in ones 60s.

• Posted

check out the lengthy discussion of CLE under the heading "lens replacement advice" on this forum. lots of info there!

• Edited

If you don't like the thought of something irreversible being done to your eyes, wear eyeglasses. Just put off cataract surgery until you really need it. There may be great advances in technology by then. I would also add that no surgery is "minor." Stuff happens, and though it is rare, things can go wrong.

• Edited

I had a similar idea being myopic for the most part of my life and never having done a laser surgery to fix it. One difference is that I am still in my mid fifties. After doing a lot of research, I have learned two things: all sorts of IOL replacement in their current stage of development have some compromises, one or another. So even if all goes well and no complication or side effect occurs, I will still not get a perfect result. I may still need to use glasses for some tasks (like reading or else) with monofocals or the quality of my vision will be compromised with multifocals.

On the other hand, I also learned that new exiting types of accommodating IOL's are currently under development or even in human trial stage. They may also greatly reduce the risk of PCO and the need for YAG surgery. I am being told by my doctor that I am at the early stage of cataract so for now, I don't need to rush into IOL replacement. I have decided to wait longer hoping that not in a far future I can opt for one off these new accommodating IOL.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.