Clear up The Backlog First?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Why do the DWP and 'powers that be'  not clear up the backlog of all these ill people claiming PIP, waiting for Mandatory Reconsiderations,  Appeals, tribunals etc. etc. for lengthy unacceptable times instead of keeping going adding more and more people to the waiting list? 

Surely cases could be sorted sooner than is happening and if not let the people who have already been granted the benefit carry on receiving it until this backlog is eliminated? 

This would surely be more constructive and would avoid unnecessary stress for vulnerable people? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Couldn’t agree more. I applied for PIP on Jan 13th and am currently waiting for my appeal date. Spoke to someone at the appeals department and they said the average wait from when they receive your appeal forms is 39 - 45 weeks. This means that by the time I get a date ( say I’m lucky and it’s 39 weeks ), that will be next February and It will have been approx 58 weeks since I first applied. Surely this backlog is just continuing to get bigger and bigger. 
    • Posted

We all wish that but in reality it's never going to happen. With the most recent statistics for PIP claims there's over 1.8 million people successfully claiming PIP right now. 1.4 million people have been refused, 3.4 million people put in a claim and all these are stats since PIP started in April 2013.

With stats like this there will always be backlogs but the backlogs for assessments are much shorter than they were when it was first introduced. I first applied in 2013 and i waited 11 months for my assessment, now the average waiting time is 8 weeks, depending on your area.

Tribunals are totally independent from DWP

• Posted

Just unacceptable, only the DWP could get away with this. Good luck Frinsey!!!!
  • Posted

they need more staff , it would also help with the employment  when you are ill your not a crook first ill second ,  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.