Clearing Mucus from Lungs

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am unable to take Carbosisteine  (Mucadyne) as I had an alergic reaction to it. I was told that there isn't an alternative?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

In Thailand the equivalet drug is acetylstene. It may be from the same family so it may give you the same problem. It may not of course be available in the UK but a good pharmacy may be able to source it internationally.

There is also the possibility to take nebulised saline which I understand to be for the same purpose.

• Posted

I said that a good pharmacy may be able to source it - that was on the basis that I recall my UK regional hospital pharmacy being able to source a drug from Switzerland that was not routinely available in the UK when I had a rather uncommon parasite infection that I picked up in Thailand and "went down badly" with when in the UK.

Acetylsteine is probably manufactured somewhere in Europe anyway. Now just looked - I was right - it's manufactured by Temmler Pharma GmbH in Germany (under the brand name "NAC Long" in Thailand). I suggest that if you cannot find a genuinely good pharmacist to help you out that you do a bit of internet research and compare the drug ingredient listings to see if you are on to a potential solution.

More generally, living in Thailand but still visiting the UK and therefore having consultants in both coutries you soon find that solutions and drugs differ a bit and sometimes the Thai version works better for me than the UK one. For instance I was presecribed theophyliine in the UK as a longer lasting bronchdilator (than Symbicort - though I use both); I had problems with sleeping (bad dreams and restlessnes) - a known potential side effect. In Thailand my Thai consultant gave me a different drug - "Puroxan" which is a doxofylline and quite close in drug terms. The internet tells me that the manufacturer claims that its drug is the same as theophyline but does not have the same sleep disturbing side effects. The manufacturer is right as far as I am concerned!

• Posted

It might be that you may have to use a combiation of vrntolin nebuliser along with hypertonic saline nebuliser and physio for lung clearance i use both as well as mucadyne and the physio and nebulising works well you need to talk to you gp who will refer you to a chest consltant you do a trial in clinc takes about an hour to make sure it works and has no adverse effects well worth a go
  • Posted

And while on the same theme, A local Thai hospital gave me an IV antibiotic called "Fortum" (ceftazidime) when I had my last hospitalised exacerbation. I was way out of it with deep fever so couldn't get my messages accross about which were my favoured antibis - didn't even have a pulmonolgist treating me. The Fortum worked brilliantly. I dicussed this a couple of days ago with a leading Thai pulmonologist in Bangkok who used to train Thai doctors about bronchiectasis. He said - "yes - it's interesting isn't it; ceftazidime is a very old antibi which we dismissed years ago as post-resistant - we are now finding that resisitance is breaking down and it's coming back into use here in SE Asia.
    • Posted

Hi Steve - that's incredible! I wonder if it will work with psudomonas!

Best wishes

• Posted

Ask a physiotherapist about airway clearance using bubble pep or flutter/fludder

You gotta do it the old fashion way and help the lungs out.

Because our lungs don't clear it properly we need to assist. That's why we get infections

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Sharon

I have started to use a salt pipe and I am convinced it helps me to loosen up the mucus on my lungs. I also use an Acapella which helps to clear my chest. The good thing about these is that no medication is required.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.