Clexane & Naproxen Post TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

8 days post right knee tkr

In hospital 3 nights regularly given 400mg ibuprofen+ co codamol

Plus nightly clexane

Carried on at home with 1 Naproxen 250 morning and evening

Phoned GP for Prescription was told can't have it until Clexane finishes next Monday

Swelling Stiffness has doubled any advice

This is so so annoying as swelling was manageable

Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

* Regularly Prescribed Naproxen Pre Op*
  • Posted

That co comadol is a combination of acetaminophen and pure codeine...powerful stuff.  If you have that at home check for other drug interactions.  Some serious ones exist.

Hate to say it but the swelling and stiffness are all normal.  It will take a while for the swelling to subside...just elevate and ice...plus don't overwork the knee which can add to the swelling problem.

The stiffness is the scar tissue buildup which will be addressed by your physical therapist soon.  Gotta break all that down.  Took me 10 weeks of PT @ 2x/week.  Even then, some residual stiffness can last 12-18 months or more.  The most annoying levels of it should get better in the next 3-6 months.

• Posted

I wouldn't get annoyed just yet- it's very early days - you have a long way to go.

Get plenty of rest and ice the swelling x

• Posted

At least the surgery is over. Be sure to do your stretches and exercises at home. Ice and elevate several times a day. This helped me a lot. Keep being patient and it will get better daily.
  • Posted

Go back to hospital check with them then back to gp and insist this is what surgeon prescribed ask them to check your discharge letter as what you can have should be on there
  • Posted

It is not ususally recommended to take NSAID meds like naproxen or ibuprofen with blood thinners as they may enhance the blood thinning and possibly cause haemorrhage, that is the likely reason. But as folks have said, swelling and stiffness tnends to get worse before it starts to get better and may flare up from time to time at different points in recovery.

?Ice and elevating the leg can help as ppl have mentioned, I'm sure you are already doing this and hopefullly things will improve as time passes.

• Posted

Think of it this way - you're super lucky you only have to endure clexane for such a short length of time.  I was on it for about 6 weeks. I was on 1000mg naproxen daily before tkr and now just on panadol osteo. It'll swell for a while regardless, that's normal.  And be thankful for clexane it may well have kept you alive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.