Clicking/Popping in Ear after talking and when running

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, 

A few weeks ago, I noticed a pop/crack in my one ear after each sentence I speak.  I also went for a run this weekend and could hear it when the same foot as the impacted ear.  My ear has a little bit of a full sensation sometimes and overall both ears don't feel exactly right.  No loss of balance or nausea, etc. 

My other ear also periodically now has been making a popping sensation but not nearly as bad.  Went to my primary doctor a week ago and he said my left ear(the one) did not appear infected, etc.  

I have tried popping my ears (holding nose, breathing out; swallowing with nose closed; yawning; the one ear popper thing you can buy at Target; steaming).  I am able to get it to stop temporarily but it comes back.  I have been using Nasonex spray for the last few days. 

It is very depressing since it makes me not want to even talk!  Any other experiences with this/advice and anyone with a positive story would be greatly appreciated.

I have an appointment with an ENT but they couldn't get me in until March 1st!!

Thanks,

Kevin

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to mention a couple of details:

1. This month I have been very stressed, I am having shoulder surgery on Friday and this has been on my mind a lot.

2.  I had to go to the dentist because my teeth were hitting funny in the front.  He said i might have been grinding my teeth or clinching my jaw. 

3.  No pain in my jaw area.

• Posted

If your teeth are hitting funny, and you are grinding or clenching your bite could be off  causing TMD. If you are stressed your muscles are probably tight. Tight muscles in the face can cause TMD.  Do you clench when you run?  

My ear ear issues are from TMD, allergies and tight muscles.  I never had jaw pain in the beginning so I thought they were crazy but went along with it.  The pain came later but it was from muscle spasms in my face. Not from the joints. 

A Regular dentist receives very little training about TMD. You need to look for an orofacial pain dentist or neuromuscular dentist. 

• Posted

interesting, I really appreciate the feedback.  I am curious if it will start feeling better once the surgery is done this week.  Thank you!
    • Posted

No I definitely don’t clench when I run, I am usually breathing thru my mouth.  This is definitely tied to my eusctachian tubes since I can make my ears feel better for a little bit by swallowing with my nose pinched.
  • Posted

Sorry I don't have any answers, just wanted to say I know where you're coming from. It's taken me nearly a year to get a referral to ENT with my eustacian tube issues and I'm still awaiting the date. 

Hope they manage to sort it for you and you have a speedy recovery. Some people swear by steam inhalation to help clear the tubes, and taking an antihistamine. 

Good luck! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.