Clicking Throat or Hyoid Bone

Posted , 2 users are following.

Almost a month ago I first experienced a "click" in my throat whenever I swallow. It didn't bother me because it happened very often, I would say only once a day then it disappeared after a few days. 2 weeks later, I felt the click again, only that time, it didn't go away. It freaked me out! I could hear and feel the sensation if I put my finger on my throat below my chin above my adam's apple when I swallow. In relation to this, I looked at the mirror only to realize a lump in the right side of my neck which got me even worried. I immediately set up an appointment with an ENT. The doctor noticed the lump right away and ordered an ultrasound of the neck (which revealed as a lymph node). Meanwhile, he didn't know how to make sense of what was going on with my throat until he put his finger and felt the click as I swallow. I heard him say "F**k, it's definitely the Hyoid bone." (I'm sure he didn't mean to curse, he was just surprised a bit I guess). He suspected that it's hitting a cartilage down there. Still, he couldn't make sense of the fact that my hyoid bone was clicking, since according to him it's a very rare condition that only occurs after a trauma, which I'm pretty sure I had no history of. He told me not to concern myself too much with the clicking in my throat for as long as it doesn't obstruct my airway and doesn't cause any pain. I have (-) pain (-) difficulty in swallowing. He advised me to massage the area near the hyoid bone for 2 weeks, 3x a day for 15 minutes and maybe put warm compress on it. It's been more than a week after the check up yet I feel no improvement. I know I was told not to worry too much but it's really bothering me because I have no clue why this happened, and if there is something I can do to resolve this. I came here hoping to find answers, or maybe find people who also experienced the same issue and can share insights.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

There are several papers on the clicking hyoid. It does seem that no one seems to know why it happens without someone having tried to strangle you or some sort of trauma such as being hit by a ball. Surgery is possible, but if there is no pain it is probably not necessarily recommended.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.