Climbing stairs

Posted , 4 users are following.

Help!!! How long before you can climb the stairs after total abdominal hysterectomy !

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue, I had a total hysterectomy and had a incision from belly button to "down below" . You can climb the stairs straightaway just take it slowly, you are advised to walk little and often as soon as possible after your operation. You will probably feel uncomfortable at first and feel like you will never get better but I can assure you , you will. Take Care Debs.
    • Posted

Hello, I had a total hysterectomy on April 3 and I am having much bleeding and viginal and rectal pressure and much discomfort. I have been to the emerg they did nothing. I am now seeing the VON to take care of my wound that has been leaking since the procedure was done.  I have other major surgeries and never did I have all these issues. I do stairs as the bathroom is up 4 steps and down to my quarters which is 8 step which I take one at a time.  I do walk but slowly about a block every other day when the weather is nice as I do not want to catch a cold and get an infection. What do you think. I am see my family doctor on Friday and will tell her about my worries. 

• Posted

Hi Claire, sorry to hear you are having discomfort and bleeding, yes you must tell your doctor of all your worries . My wound got infected so had to go to doctors every 3 days to see the nurse so she could dress my wound, it did clear up after 2 weeks. I don't think people realise how much a hysterectomy  affects your life and how long it takes to recover. It's 16 months since my operation and still I can remember it as if it was yesterday but can honestly say I feel great now. All the best Debs.x
    • Posted

I do see the VON every three days for my wound which was bleeding since day one and she did not dee anything wrong as she was not really looking like the doc at the emergency. Thank you for your help. Have a great day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.