Clindamycin

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’m curious if others have had a similar positive experience with clindamycin phosphate lotion? I was seeing a doctor for an unrelated reason and she mentioned this and wrote me a prescription. I had told her know one I had ever seen about my HS has mentioned this. She said she doesn’t think a lot of doctors know about it, but she’s seen countless patients find success.

Well of course I was willing to try anything.

I should preface this that my HS has been cut down 90%+ because I cut out refined sugar 100% from my diet. But unfortunately there have been a few times I made the mistake of consuming some amount of sugar and sure enough one pops up. Well I had a very stubborn one for months on months! The minute I applied the lotion twice a day it began to go away. Within one week this stubborn outbreak was gone! Well I’ve never used a product that has been so successful! I generally keep my HS at bay anyway from not eating a bite of sugar, but I’m glad to have something that I can use if I get an outbreak again!

Hope this helps someone!

FYI I struggled with HS for 19 years and it was terrible all that time until I made the change in my diet from  eliminating sugar. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi thanks for your post! I’ve done pretty well eliminating most trigger foods but I messed up 2 days ago and I have an outbreak. Can you tell me the brand you are referring to or messenge me it please ? I tried so many things in the past that have not worked 
  • Posted

YES.  It is working for me IN CONJUNCTION WITH other treatment provided by my Dermatologist. But caveat:

1. I received top of the line care from my P.A. and her M.D.

2. I saw them SPECIFICALLY for my condition, which was diagnosed as HS on that day.

3. I was given a regimen to follow with 4 steps on my armpits, and 2 steps on my groin.

4. You have to use it EVERY DAY.  (i.e, it is preventative--you can't make a decision based on how you feel just one day).

All clend. is is a topical antibiotic. In MY case, which I had really bad with pustules appearing on my bikini line or worse, on tender vag. flesh, and one or two pustules on my arm, plus the worst itching I had EVER had... that's how I got my Dx. Not to mention that I had another doc, my Ob/Gyn, help me other times by draining pustules and nasty business involving pinching and those things that you use to stick yourself for blood draws, etc.

So I was THRILLED to get a new Dx, and find out that I was right all along, that I had some trauma with my sweat glands and I was right about them flaring up in just one day in the hot sun with 4 hours and at least 1 hour of sheets of sweat on my back, down my legs, etc.

So she prescribed: 1) in the shower, wash with an OTC benzoil peroxide soap on the affected areas (again, daily). Then, apply the clen. in all folds, for me, underarm, groin, butt cheeks, and boob sweat areas.

For armpit ONLY, 3) Topical Hydrocortisone 2.5% for anti itch (this takes forever to help but it worked!!!), and 4) Vanicream deodorant stick.  She says a crystal mineral deodorant won't cause itching, if you prefer, but nothing else.

Anyhoo, I feel so bad that you had had to cut out super, because I wouldn't want to do that. Not that I indulge often but when I do, it's very satisfying!

My thoughts are, if you have other medical advice to follow by your Derm., follow that. But you must try the clend. lotion and use it every day for the pustules. There's just no reason not to.  

I hope, very much, that your 19 years of HS goes by the wayside fast, Sarah.  The pustules hurt so bad, but itching your armpit every day at work has got to be the worst thing ever!!!

• Posted

Oh man!  Not "super" but "sugar" sorry. Also, in reading my post, I hope it makes sense. 

• Posted

Haha I got that smile

But I know as well as most on here that you can’t just sit back and hope it goes away!

Luckily I’ve had no more show up since I posted this a month ago. For me it really stays at bay when I don’t eat sugar. I’m just glad I have something to use on the rare occasion I mess up! smile

• Posted

Hi Sarah.

This is working VERY well for my husband and an awful pilondial cyst he has had trouble for years with. Like you, I was prescribed the clindamycin lotion to prevent abcess outbreak by my obygn after she had to lance two underneath my breast within a couple of years of each other. She said the friction and heat of summer and being big chested are the perfect storm for those. After years of nasty infections and oral antibioti s We tried it on my husbands pilondial cyst at first sign, when he felt one.was surfacing and so far it has worked wonders !! That in a combination of regular shaving of the area, and no problems or need for oral antibiotics for over 4 mo now...he was looking at surgery soon other wise due to the reccurnce...topical has to be better and no side effects yet!! He returns to doc next month so see what he says. He made the comment at his last visit it looked better than ever but we didn't mention the treatment, had only been using it for a week or so then. Now it is almost non existent !! Hope you continue to do well !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.