clindamycin rifampicin combination

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, has anyone tried the above combination of antibiotics?

I have had HS for 3 years now and still unsure what triggers it off, i have tried endless creams and antibiotics and have now been prescribed the above. I know there is risk with this combination (liver damage) and need to get regular blood tests. As a 21 year old girl getting these cysts on my pant line is so horrible, as i am embarrsed none of my friends know and is hard to deal with. i have had atleast 3 trips to a and e to get cysts burst and i just need to find a cure now, its stopping me getting on with my life.

I read these online discussions alot, and im just glad to know im not alone.

Any help re the above combination of antibiotics would be a great help - thanks!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi! While, i cannot say anything about antibiotics, most doctors ive been to have said they do not to a whole lot of good in the long run, my PCP recently put me on "Metformin" 2000mg daily (1000mg twice a day) its a medication they generally ease you into because it can cause frequent bathroom trips. A lot! But they will prescribe usually 1000mg a day, to 2000mg a day depending on your tolerance. Its historically a blood sugar medication, but there are many other benfits of it and it wont lower your sugar if either.

Anyway, i have been taking it niw for about 6 weeks, they say give it 8-12 weeks to see a real change. But i can safetly say i went from having 10+ drain areas in each armpit, and close to 25+ in my groin/pant line area to 3 in my arms, and the last on my oantline closed, there are just 4-5 swollen lightly seeping areas in other groin areas. Overall, it has helped immensly, and the upset stomach stuff goes away after a while.

I hope you are able to find releif!

• Posted

Hello, thanks for your reply.

I really am running out of options i feel, so best to give each antibiotic a trial period. I can deal with the upset stomachs if it relieves the pain and makes the cysts less angry!

• Posted

I dont blame you,i totally understand, ive been dealing with them since i was 14, and im almost 28. Its aweful. But i would look into metformin. Ask your doctor. Mine hadnt of it but did look into it and agreed to try. I hope something works for you. Next im going to try a strick elimination diet.
  • Posted

I've tried 3 different combinations for months with little or no results. My dermatologist along with the medical community have determined that it is not a bacterial infection. I was put on Humira 5 months ago. The results are tremendous.

• Posted

i have had HS for about 30 years.  I am taking Remicade now for about 7 years (Humira was not strong enough for me)  It is a miracle drug!  I was averaging surgery to remove abcesses every 3 months & since i started taking Remicade i have not had surgery!  I have had a few small breakouts but i can handle them.  

• Posted

Hi hun, was wandering how you've got on with the combination antibiotics? I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 24 Only just got diagnosed with hs properly last year but been suffering for about 4 years, mine has been angry with no break for over a year, been through all lotions and potions, all different antibiotics and have just started on these 2 days ago. I'm not sure how to feel because everything else has been a let down and I'm at a point where it's so bad I don't even want to get dressed and leave the house for been uncomfortable. It's such an embarrassing illness sad

• Posted

I am 54 , have been suffering from us since I was in my 20's. I have tried everything. Remicade is the only thing that has helped me, I call it the miracle drug. I tried both enbrel & humira & neither was strong enough so I am on remicade. I was averagi g 4 surgeries per year removing breakouts. I have been on remicade for about 8 years. I have not had a big breakout since. I do have a little one here & there but nothing serious. Remicade was a game changer for me. I wish you luck

• Posted

Hi Bethany,

I am 8 weeks into the treatment and yes i have seen an improvement, the boils have shrunk and are not so angry looking. Although i still have this one boil that will not go away, i have 4 weeks left and i am scared that when i come off them more will grow. The combination is very strong, i feel sick most mornings when waing up and have been prescribed anti sickness tablets.. i have been on different anti bitiocs every day for as long as i can remeber. This combinationn has wokred the best for me although the one boil that will not go away... i am going to see my doctor next week for more blood tests and to see what my next steps are. I hope this combination works for you. This condition is so horrible to live with, i feel the same about not wanting to leave the house.. sad it brings you down. x

• Posted

I would suggest talking to your doctor about remicade. It is very expensive so you need good insurance. It will make hs go into remission. I have had no side effects from it. Your boil that won't go away, have your Dr lance it. Are you seeing a dermatologist, they also have a shot they can inject right into the boil that sometimes help. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you, I will defiantly give this one a good go, so far the only effect I'm having is the discoloured urine so fingers crossed. Glad it worked for you and hope it leads to a good remission smile x

• Posted

I am also 21 and have it in the same spot! I am awaiting surgery and I am on those two antibiotics and theyve worked wonders at controlling my flare ups. It is definitely still needing surgery, but the comfort they have provided has been great
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 23 have recently been diagnosed with HS although have been putting up with it since I was 15, I have just finished 3months of lymecycline which did nothing, now I am one week into rifampicin and clindamycin 300mg I have noticed an improvement already, how did you get on with your treatment? Did the relief of symptoms last after the end of the course?

• Posted

Hi Kate, this combination has helped keep the flare ups at bay. I have just finished my 3 month course and I am carrying on with the clindamycin for another 2 months as cysts have not dissapeared completey and can had good and bad days. I hope this combination works for you, HS is such a horrible condition but i think it is just a case of trial and error with different antibiotics, for the past 3 years i have trailed many. Fingers crossed this works for you! 
    • Posted

Hi Jenni,

I'm please to hear that the treatment is helping you, hopefully those extra two months will be enough to sort those stubborn cysts out!! I was reluctant to begin antibiotics because we were hoping to try to start a family soon but can't do that while I'm on these and it just seems to be such a long process but if it helps it will be worth it (still not used to having orange pee though!) thank you for replying to me, it's nice to chat to somebody going through the same thing x

• Posted

Hi I've just finished my course on these, no other side effects appeared other than the funny colour pee! Lol, so far I've had a major improvement, everything has pretty much settled way down from what it was and I'm left with just the odd one or two small sores, the pain and horrid smell of the sores has gone too, I'm quite happy with the results so far and just hoping that it stays away now. Hope it all works out for you 😊 Xx

• Posted

That's fab news Bethany, I'm pleased to hear it has helped you. I have noticed a definate improvement already and I'm coming up to time of month which usually means lots of sores and pain for 2 weeks but so far nothing! It's a bit strange, not that I'm complaining! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.