Clips for urolift

Posted , 11 users are following.

Can the clips from a failed urolift be removed ?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes, my urologist removed all except one clip during Greenlight surgery.

• Edited

I believe it depends.

I have 9 clips put in after two urolift operations some years ago, but they were not visible during a recently cystoscopy. I believe that they have been 'overgrown'

The surgeon has always maintained that their continued presence is no issue (I hope he is correct!)

M

• Edited

My thought on Urolift is that it is a temporary solution that tucks the prostate to one side to take the pressure of your urethra but it continues to grow leaving a problem for the future.

• Posted

I had an unsuccessful urolift with 5 clips about a year ago. It left me worse than before the procedure, and in a lot of pain. I speculate that the urologist put one or more of the clips through a nerve bundle. I had a PAE a month ago, and have yet to have much relief from it, other than the urolift pain disappeared as soon as I came out of the recovery room. I still have the clips, and I think I still get occasional pain from them. My next move, if needed, will probably be greenlight, but hopefully that is two or three years away. I know that TURP removes the clips, and so does greenlight and HOLEP.

• Posted

I had a Urolift back in March and it has not helped so I asked my Urologist if he could remove them. They can but they have to justify it with the Insurance by preforming another procedure like a TURP. He also said that after some time the prostate would grow over the clips in the Urethra and it would make it difficult to remove them. Of course the Anchors out in the prostate cannot be removed without surgery.

I have gone back on drugs for my bladder and prostate and doing fine. I am taking Mybetqric and Tamsolusin (Flomax) every other day to prevent RE.

• Posted

I had a Urolift back in March and it has not helped so I asked my Urologist if he could remove them. They can but they have to justify it with the Insurance by preforming another procedure like a TURP. He also said that after some time the prostate would grow over the clips in the Urethra and it would make it difficult to remove them. Of course the Anchors out in the prostate cannot be removed without surgery.

I have gone back on drugs for my bladder and prostate and doing fine. I am taking Mybetqric and Tamsolusin (Flomax) every other day to prevent RE.

• Posted

Short answer.... Yes, but only with Extensive Surgery to get "All" of the Clips.

Long answer... The Doctors will say yes or no, depending on how you ask the question. My first Urologist explained it the Best. He said: The clips left on the inside of the Urethra , can be easily removed either during the initial installation or subsequently; in cases where they "Mis-Fire" or accidentally over lap an area, or change their mind for other reasons. However the clips that go all the way through the Prostate (or other internal items), necessarily have to be removed only with extensive internal surgery.

• Posted

My Urologist said he could remove the Urethra clips before the procedure was done and later said a procedure like TURP would have to be done to remove them. I guess they do not want to scare you or loose business by telling you everything about removing them. Another one of the reasons for removing them would be if it penetrated the bladder. I wish I had found this forum before my Urolift and maybe I would not have had it done.

• Posted

I'm having a TURP on 11/1 and the urologist said that she would be slicing through the clips while doing the procedure. I think that I only have 2 or 3 clips and she said that she wasn't going to be going looking for them but that in the normal course of the TURP she would invariably cut through them. My understanding is that the one side of the clip that is anchored into the prostate capsule cannot be removed without a more extensive procedure so that when the clip is sliced that what you end up with is the anchor in the prostate capsule attached but the anchored piece attached to the urethra side is gone so it is kind of like a little piece of loose fishing line . I would love to have all the clips removed, anchors and all, but every urologist that I have spoken to says that is more trouble than it is worth.

• Posted

I wonder if the insurance companies would approve just have the Urethra clips removed....

• Posted

Let us know after your procedure is done how many clips your Urologist was able to remove.

• Edited

My Urolift failed within a year. I had resisted for about a year because I could see that my fast-growing prostate would overgrow the clips; I found a doctor warning this online. Sure enough it did. My Uro graduated me to a Holep which took out 30 of 35 g of prostate with the expectation of ending my 30 year BPH adventure. After every other of prostate operations and procedures, I had recovered continence with Kegels. This time, they cause prohibitively serious pain and nocturia for several days, as though I am flexing pelvic floor muscles against something hard and sharp, like Urolift clips, (What else?) But the anchor clips cannot be accessed without major surgery and more complications (total incontinence?). Now tolerable with ME NAPHOS & AZO 2X each per day and getting up 5X each night. (Noting that it was almost much worse: when my adventure began we were considering the old gold standard Roto-Rooter; TUNA then TURP were developed just in time.)

• Posted

Yes, I am getting Aquablation after a failed Urolift and my doctor said failed urolift clips can be removed to preform the AB surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.