Clob - Ointment or Cream?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have just finished using the ointment the gyno gave me and when I opened the follow up tube I got from the doctor it is the cream.  Should I get it changed and does it make much difference whether I use ointment or cream.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have had the cream but my dr now gives me the ointment said let messy but both did the same for me
    • Posted

Thanks, I think I might try and get changed back to the ointment.  
  • Posted

I have always had the cream and it has worked brilliantly.  

Just out of interest, why is ointment supposed to be better?

• Posted

Hello, I believe that the ointment being oil based provides a better barrier and aids adsorption. I also find it nicer to apply and more comfortable.

• Posted

I think you are probably right but I will finish the cream and then try to change back to the ointment.  I don't think the cream does the job quite as well and I keep imagining I feel an itch again.  I hope it is only my imagination.

• Posted

I much prefer the ointment.  It feels like it absorbs better and you also don't need to use as much.  The cream actually felt like it burned a little bit, while I don't have any discomfort with the ointment.  I see better results overall from the ointment.  The one down side is that my doctor recently told me that the ointment is now much more expensive, so if you're paying out of pocket it's going to cost you more.  

• Posted

Thanks Viv,  The price may be why the doctor has given me the cream as I'm in UK and get my prescription on the NHS.  Having thought my LS was under control after one tube of ointment,  I have had another outbreak after starting on the cream and yes, I have used twice as much as it doesn't seem to go as far and I have gone back to twice a day.

• Posted

I'm fortunate enough to have excellent prescription coverage with my health insurance plan, so the ointment is covered for me.  But my doctor asked me at my last appointment about my prescription plan for that reason--they've recently increased the cost of the ointment significantly and he didn't want me having to pay too much for my script if I had poor or no prescription coverage.  

• Posted

I have a check up due in 3 months time so I will probably persevere with the cream until then and ask the gynocologist what she thinks.   The cream does seem to be working now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.