clobetasol and hair loss

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have lichen sclerosus. I have been using clobetasol and I have been losing my hair. Needless to say none of this is making me feel very sexy. Are there any alternative treatments for this condition?

Also, I literally never get sick. I wionder if other people experience this strange circumstance. People around me get colds and the flu and I never do. This makes me wonder if I have an overactive autoimmuine system and if I should be pursuing some alternative therapies on this front. 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have just found this site and this is the most relevant to me.

I am almost sure I have Lichen Sclerosus and have been suffering intermittent sympoms for a few years. I have been suffering soreness in the inner lips of the minor labial area and around the urethethral opening. No signs of nfection. I have now noticed a white area and I feel confident enough to treat as an inflammatory skin condition with a strong steroid ointment - the ointment I was given for a patch of Lichen simplex chronicus I hae  near my groin. I do not know if it is connected. As I have to wait 2 months to be seen by a gynaecologist and I cannot stand the pain and discomfort of this acute exaceribation that I weighed up the pros aqnd cons to self treat.  From all my reading it seems better if you treat it early. I know you should not self treat but 2 months of steroid ointment is a risk I am prepared to take. After 3 days there is an improvement in appearance of the tissues and the soreness so I will follow the recommended treatment until I can be seen in clinic. I am also aware that it may interfer with the diagnosis but if I can find a way to releve the symptoms and prevent the scaring and atrophy then I will risk it.

I also like Paula never seem to get coughs and colds and I heal very well and feel very healthy. I do not worry about hair loss from steroids as it is only a small area to absorb the steroid and for only a few months. I do worry about no sex life or disfigurment if it can be prevented. It seems you get less chance of complications if treated adequately and early. 

My son has been plagued with eczema all his life which I have treated with strong steroids in short burst when necessary to get on top of it. I am now using his emolients to wash with in the shower which I find soothing. There is Atopy in the family but I have not had any skin compaints until menopause. If it is not LS then as long as I do not make it worse at least I can report the effect of the steroids and we can go from there 

I am not advocating self treatment but I do encourage everyone to check with a mirror to see what  your 'normal' is and recognise when something is different. This is how I noticed the progression and the improvements.

I only  hope I respond to treatment and go in to remission - the best possible outcome - not so often discussed on forums. I will keep you informed.

• Posted

I can see the logic in your decision, Matlor. Side effects from the ointment are the least of our concerns. Don't expect speedy results, though. Dermovate can take months – up to two years to get things settled right down, depending on how aggressive your version of LS is. I've had it forty years and experienced a number of remissions, including reversal of fusing. But what I've read is that remission doesn't happen post menopause. Look around on this site. Soak in baking soda baths, use coconut oil and don't have sex if you're already uncomfortable. Keep us posted. (You could take a picture now to show the gynae). Most don't do biopsies and they won't do one if you're asymptomatic.
  • Posted

I am going to rely on my description for the consultant as I would hate anyone to accidentally find a photo of my vulval area.

It is so much better after a week of treatment but seems to have left me with some soreness especially of the urethra.. I suppose I am being impatient..

What is the science behind baking soda baths? I have not had a bath in years as I prefer a showers. I am using dermol wash for the vulval area to protect the area from the soap I use on hair and body. I may try petrolium based grease to protect the area when I go for my swim. Apart from good healthy food and exercise I cannot think what else I can do. I try to remain positive but with the constant burning of the urethra to remind me it is there, it is difficult..

Traclimonas, Protopic, seems to be second line treatment as the safety long term is not tested. It can also sting when used. They do seem to agree that Dermovate.used accordingly to BAD guidelines is the first line of action.

We constantly look for alternative natural treatments as I did for my son for years -  diets, natural products, environment etc  We think something makes a difference then it is disproved in the next flare up. I now tend to wait for the science and read all the studies but everyone is different.

.I do feel that with any long term condition you have to be armed with knowledge, be in charge and cope with it the best you can trying not to let it interfere with your life too much. It is useful to read what everyone else has found out after coping with it for years. Thanks.

• Posted

Do not know what the science is but we are at the beach and ocean water is therapeutic whereas chlorinated pool water exacerbates.
    • Posted

I wish. The nearest beach is 30 miles and the water is freezing so will have to make do with Vaseline and the pool

Such is city life.

• Posted

Sorry I meant to say Clobetasol not Dermovate as first line of treatment but any strong steroid once a day for a month and then every other day for a month and then twice a week will most probably be as good. Only increasing it if it flares up. That's the theory anyway but I am sure it is different in practice, as it always is. . 
    • Posted

Dermovate is just a brand name for clobetasol. Thanks for reminding me about Vaseline for swimming. I haven't been in the water yet this year, but I was trying to remember the thing that didn't melt the way coconut oil does.
  • Posted

Careprost is the best serum use to treat eyelash falling out problem and make your eyelashes more stronger and darker. Careprost is the best product i have use it since from last 3 years and its very effective serum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.