Clobetasol burning. Too strong for some/

Posted , 6 users are following.

After almost three months of ruling out different infections, I went to my Gyno last week for what now appears to be minor Lichen. She gave me Clobetasol to apply once a day for two weeks, however, the last three days that I've began using it, my vulva has burned worse than it ever did without the Clobetasol. I've been applying less than a pea size amount and the burning in my vulva and the entrance to my urethra is so bad that I can't sleep.

Has anyone found that their vulva skin is just to sensitive for a steroid as strong as Clobetasol? Has anyone experienced improvement with a lower strength steroid?

Before using Clobetasol, I found that my topical estrogen that I've already been using provided some relief for the burning, but since using Clobetasol has now upset things even worse, Vaseline is the only thing that is now providing some relief.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

HI,

CLOBETASOL IS TOO STRONG FOR ME TOO. IT BURNED SO BAD. AT FIRST I WAS TO APPLY IT 2X A DAY BUT I DECIDED TO TRY 1 A DAY AND STILL COUL D NOT HANDLE IT SO MY GYN PUT ME ON KENALOG CREAM BUT I GET TOO MANY FLAREUPS. IM THINKING I MAY NEED TO UP THE KENALOG CREAM TO 3X A WEEK AND SEE HOW THAT GOES

• Posted

i have only just started using CLOB last week. I have read on this forum that alot of people have a reaction to CLOB. The container recommends using scarcly as it is a very potent steroid ointment, I am using just a smear 1xday. Its hard to tell if im having a reaction as a week ago i had valva laser surgry to remove abnormal cells so its all sore. however i have no burning sensation atm. Good luck 😃

• Posted

madison, I also have a somewhat milder case of LS than many who post here seem to have. My gyn prescribed Triamcinolone which is milder than clobetasol and it works fine. My doc prefers a more conservative approach when it comes to meds and I prefer that.

I started using estradiol at the same time, so I can't distinguish which med is affecting things the most . According to the doc my LS was caused by too little estrogen. I knew I had AV, but was hoping to avoid hormones. With the LS diagnosis I felt I had no choice.

My doc also recommends vaseline if either med causes soreness as it has a neutral PH.

Depending on which country you are in the names of the different levels of steroids may be different. My GP mentioned mine was mid level.

• Posted

That's what I'm hoping might work for me as well, Beverly. I'm sure Clobetasol works wonders for some, but my skin in general is extremely sensitive so I think its actually making things worse.

In the meantime, while waiting to hear bay from my Gyn, I've put on quite a bit of Vaseline as it is the only thing able to soothe the irritation from the Clobetasol.

• Posted

madison, I had one incident where I had a reaction to the steroid. I had had a bout of diarrhea then used the steroid. I'm not sure if I applied too much that one time or if too much was absorbed into my skin because of fissures, but it was clear there was a problem as my skin felt burning hot. My doc was away, so I just stopped using the steroid for a week and the area went back to normal. When I did speak with the doc she said that was what she would have advised. Have had no negative reaction to it since. I use very small amounts twice a week on any remaining dry area, edge of labia that had whitened and any sore or irritated spots.

I have no idea if I will have flare ups in the future, but up till now I have had nothing but mild discomfort which I had assumed was from AV. I had gone to the gyn because of fleeting internal vaginal itch. Flagyl brought the most relief for that so I have no idea if it had anything to do with LS.

• Posted

I would try Cortizone 10, Ointment not cream. Worked well for me!

• Posted

Jane, did you find that it was enough to put your LS in to remission or did it just relieve irritation?

• Posted

as long as I catch a flare up in the initial stages, it works great.

If it is a burning, red flare up, I alternate Clob and Cortizone 10.

Icing helps too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.