Clogged ear/Eustachian tube

Posted , 3 users are following.

Back in July, I had a terrible cold, and as a result, have had a swollen eustacian tube and fluid in my one ear ever since. I've been going to a bunch of ENTs and after rounds of antibiotics and predisone, nothing worked to clear it. I'm currently taking mucinex regularly and feel it loosening but not clearing out.

Next step is to get a tube in my ear on 11/16. (I'm 40 y/o by the way).

I've had this in the past but was able to clear it with said Rx's, but not this time.

This is driving me mad. Has anyone ever experienced such a thing? Like get a tube when you were an adult? Any bad side effects/complications?

Anyone get a badly clogged ear and find a solution that worked for them to clear it?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Left or Right?

Is it causing ear pain, ear fullness, problems hearing?

How long has it been going on for?

How many times has it happened before?

• Posted

Hi Ben.

It's the left ear. It's been going on since a cold I got this past July.

It's fullness, ringing/tinnitus, the fluid shifts and I can hear better when I lay down or tilt me head certain ways.

I don't experience any vertigo or dizziness although I feel more fatigued since this has been going on.

I try to do the valsava (sp) maneuver but it won't pop. If afraid to try harder b/c it pops and hurts my good ear if I do.

I also feel a fullness/mass in my inner neck behind my ear and under my jaw.

• Posted

Also, these have been becoming more frequent, like every time I get a cold. Last time this happened was this past February but meds were able to treat it. Prior to that, last June 2016 and meds did help then.
  • Posted

Hello Jason,

I've suffered Eustachian Tube Dysfunction on and off, but more on than off for years and years.  It's the most horrible condition to suffer and there seems nothing available for a permanent cure.

Mine is due to suffering Sinus, Rhinitis and Allergies.  I've written so many times on this Forum about ETD.  I'm surprised you haven't read mine and many others messages that suffer too.

All I can tell you is what has helped me, or at least so far.  I also lost my sense of smell years ago through ETD.

In April this year I suffered a particularly bad episode, so bad my left eardrum perforated from all the pressure.  I was prescribed a 20 day reducing course of Prednisolone (can't be less, as they won't work)  We have to get rid of all the inflammation that makes our Eustachian tubes block.  Prednisolone will do this.  When the course has finished and if you live in England (as you can't get them in the US) ask for a 6 weeks course of Flixonase Nasule Drops.  After these you could go onto Flixonase Aqueous Nasal spray.  These medications seem to have sorted my problem out.  Because I've suffered this condition for so long the steroid Nasal spray no longer work for me.  So what I'm now doing is using the Nasules approx every 3 days or so.  The other day both my ears blocked for whatever reason, so I immediately used the Drops and gently popped my ears and they were good again.  The Nasules are quite strong, hence the reason only a 6 weeks course is recommended.  However, me only using them now as and when seems to be working for me.  Still have sense of smell and taste too, which is marvellous.  I'll be seeing my ENT consultant in Feb 2018 and hopefully things will still be the same for me. 

Sadly, Winter time for me in England isn't good for allergies and I'm pretty sure they are the culprits they cause ETD.

I hope I've been of some help to you and that you too get relief from this very debilitating condition.

Rest assured you're not alone, so many on this Forum are suffering too.

Regards

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.