Clonidine for excessive sweating.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Well I've started my tablets today for my sweating so let's see what happens and how i feel over the next week, and see if I get any side effects. Don't feel real happy about going on Chlonidine because they are more for high blood pressure & hot flushes but anything is worth a try at this point, will let u all know how i get on. XXX

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am currently using Oxybutinin patches which are usually prescribed for frequent urination and urgency but has the side effect of stopping sweating.

They worked well until my oestrogen hrt was upset by a reduction in another medication.  I went back to the strength I had been on for years, and sweating stopped.  So it seems to be a combination of oxybutinin and correct oestrogen levels that work for me.

• Posted

Hi Sheryl137154,

My doctor won't prescribe it for me because it's for the bladder, he said that he has never heard of anyone going on it for sweating but prescribed Chlonidine 50 mg twice a day, but they are used for high blood pressure & hot flushes but i had no choice but to give them ago because that's all he was willing to offer, but he did say that if they don't suit me that he will try something else so this is only day 2 of taking them, but they do cause yr blood pressure to go very low so I got to be checked next week to see how i am going on them. XXX

• Posted

Yes, officially oxybutinin is for reducing frequent urination and urgency problems.  The side effect of it prevents excess sweating.  My gp said that I can't get it on PBS (Australia) for sweating.  I said I have frequent urination and urgency problems too which was not a lie.

It has stopped the sweating but not the frequency!!!

• Posted

Funny u should say that I go for a wee at least 6 times in throughout the night and It drives me mad, plus I can't control my bladder like I used to, I didn't think to mention that because I thought it was part of life. Thank u for mentioning that to I will definitely try again because he wouldn't prescribe them for that reason. XXX

• Posted

Since starting Oxybutinin and I am extremely happy with the results but also aware that I have to have sufficient oestrogen supplementation, I have since read about Pro-Banthine (other contributors also swear by it for sweat reduction).

It also reduces abdominal spasms, and too much acid (I am also prone to ulcers).  I have had awful abdominal spasms for years purportedly from adhesions from my hysterectomy.  They are agony and make my abdomen go rigid until they eventually relax.

I told my gp that I did not want to change anything that I am taking but having those spasms dealt with would be good too.  So she gave me a script for Pro-Banthine but of course I have to stop the patches.  I start with 1 x 3 times a day (tablets) and build up to 2 x 3 times a day until I experience dry mouth.

First night I took 3 at once because that was the day I was supposed to replace my patch and since read that was a no, no.  However, no problems occurred but I did not have any spasms that night, nor did I sweat.

Nor any last night.  Maybe coincidental but I rarely go a night without a couple. Also during the day when I stand up.

First sign of head sweating I will be doubling the dose.

That gives you a couple of options but stick to the Oxybutinin to start with.

Good luck.

If you need to convince your dr, print off the Wikipedia page.  They generally give all the information required in one go.

• Posted

Hi Sheryl37154,

I have to phone back this week to see how i am getting on and I shall mention Oxybutyninn again plus Pro-Banthine to him. Thank you for getting back intouch, I am most grateful. XXX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.