Clopidogrel and Dentistry

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I take Clopidogrel and bleed readily. The problem is I need to use the service of a Dentist fairly shortly as I'm rapidly reaching the end of my tether (re: loose wobbly teeth, pain, gum disease). I'm thinking that I'm best just going to the local Dental Hospital rather than a Dentist (and the not slight embarrasment this might cause,, as my teeth are wrecked) neutral

What are your experiences regarding this matter question smile

Thanks in advance.

Philip

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If I go to a High Street Dentist are they going to send me away saying they can't do anything because I will bleed a lot (I WILL bleed a lot and for a long time) question smile
  • Posted

It's not always so easy to get a dental hospital to take you on as a patient but, wherever you go, you must give the dentist full details of your medication.  I would guess that, if you are going to have extensive dentistry, you will be asked to stop taking clopidogrel for several days before treatment.  Best of luck.

• Posted

I have had dental treatment while on clopidogrel (root canal), with a high street dentist. I was asked to stop taking the clopidogrel for four days before the treatment, and didn't have a problem with bleeding. I've also had some dental work now I'm on Warfarin, but it was only a crown so didn't involve anything invasive.

I should go and have a chat with the dentist; don't be embarassed, I'm sure they've seen much worse teeth than yours!

• Posted

I have not taken Clopidogrel, but for 16 years have been on Warfarin, which also causes bleeding.  A few years ago I needed 2 teeth being extracted.  The dentist got in touch with the Dental department at the local hospital and they sent me an appointment.  I had to go in early that morning for an INR but unfortunately that department was busy, so I didn't get my results until the afternoon (late!).  Anyway, they decided they could go ahead and extract.  They stitched the gums and padded it well. Get your dentist to arrange an appointment for you and don't be embarrassed - that's what they are there for.
  • Posted

Thanks all smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.