Close to losing my job :/

Posted , 6 users are following.

I don't know what I am hoping to acheive posting this, but venting more than anything.

For the past year, everyday has been the same for me. I wake up exhausted and fatigued, have headaches, sinus pain, rash on my face, my balance is off and I can't see out of my left eye properly through blurry vision and pressure (swollen too). I am coughing up thick mucus all day everyday. Nothing is releifing this congestion and pressure at all.

I have had 3 infections and breathing problems. I am only 26!. 6 months ago, I could cycle 60-100km fine, I was fit as a fiddle, now I struggle with 5!!!

This is making me really depressed and driving anxiety into overdrive as I just can't get relief from the symptoms. I have had 3 rounds of antibiotics, steriods, 4 nasal sprays to try (Dysmista being the worst), CT scan, allergy test ( shown nothing I come into contact with), numerous camera's. I have done the elimination diet, nothing helps!.

I flipped on my ENT when he said "This is perfectly normal" after a 4 month waiting list, and a 2 second appoitment become he decided without looking up from his computer (bare in mind at that point I had a severe infection and walked in looking like death) that I was fine. I know I shouldn't, but I was panicked, depression and stupidly built my hopes up that, that day I might finally get some relief.

I have gone into work in states I really shouldn't and it hasn't gone unnoticed. I need to work to pay my bills however I am struggling so much. I just feel constantly so run down, hazy, unco-ordinated etc. It's got to the point now which I don't know whether it's sinus related or anxiety driving my problems.

The doctor has perscribed Sertraline for depression and anxiety however how can I be happy with all this grinding me down everyday. I haven't started the tablet yet. My mood would increase, if I could just clear my head and get rid of this fog and daily congestion headaches.

Anyone know what I can do please? I have another ENT appoitment in June but not holding out for much hope.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

So sorry for your pain!

I too have had this for 3 months - it's awful!

So like a sinus infection but antibiotics do nothing.

My ears hurt my face hurts my head hurts - I'm dizzy sometimes nauseous.

Ct scan showed nothing .

I guess MRI is only thing left .

Please let me know what your Dr says ?

Best, Didi

• Posted

Omg don't take antidepressants if you don't need them,  please read the horrors of the side effects, not to mention discontinuation is extremely difficult,  also you will have electrical zaps in your head maybe forever if you decide to quit.  This can happen as early as one pill.  As for your infection have you had the mucus analyzed?

• Posted

I was hoping to avoid them but I do suffer with panic attacks as a result of all this sinus problems. Breathing trouble normally triggers them. Plus my mood has dropped to no ends.

I have been on Fluoxetine for a month and I know of the horrors first hand. Worst 4 months of my life with side effects.

I haven't yet, will need to ask for that. At a loss as of what to try next to be honest!

• Posted

I'm sorry your so down I understand that I have had a sinus infection for 10 months now.  I am finally going to see an ent like you in June.  Anyway Ssri don't make you bullet proof if it's your condition that's getting you down taking an Ssri you will still be down.  There not magical uppers,  the only thing to do is keep on going to a dr any dr till he finds out what the causes are.  Also have him check your immune system, and vitamin d.

• Posted

I know, just at a loss as of how to get back on right to be honest.

I have a doctors appoitment next week as well so will follow up.

Can I ask, do you have trouble sleeping with you're sinus issues?

As in you can sleep for 8 hours solidly but still wake up exhausted?

• Posted

Honestly I have no difficulty breathing at nigh and I feel somewhat ok maybe a bit run down and irritated that I still have the infection.  I am doing my best doing sinus irrigation 2 times a day, blowing my nose constantly and drinking 8 glasses of plain water a day.  Eating right, getting enough excersize, and fresh air and sunshine.  It's also good to find hobbies that can help you to learn how to relax.

• Posted

Hi.  I've had symptoms similar to yours for many years.  Clear lower sinuses but constant post-nasal drip.  Severe fatigue and "brain-fog", intermittent minor vision problems and vertigo.  Had CT that showed minor infective or allergic signs.  Had allergy tests that showed some minor sensitivity to some foods that I eliminated without much effect.  While I can't tell you what will work in your situation, I can tell you what helped me and what didn't.  I began reading as much as possible on sinus-related disorders and CFS.  I tried all kinds of tretment protocols and supplements to attempt to regain energy and facilitate sinus drainage.  I feel I had no measurable effect from energy-increasing supplements like ALCAR and D-Ribose.  Increasing doses of anti-oxidants like Vit.C, N-acetylcysteine, Fish Oil (Omega-3), garlic, etc. were also of little help and I feel that overdoing these things can actually cause other problems.  You should check your Vit.D if you believe it could be low.  Same with testosterone levels.  Antibiotics will not help if an allergy or fungal infection is causing your sinusitis. 

What finally helped me after many years was reading more on the "biofilm" idea of CFS.  I began a regimen of sinus-rinsing with about 1/2 tsp. of salt and 1/2 tsp of powdered Xylitol in sterile water.  I also use Xylitol nasal spray initially 3x per day when I feel that I might be going through a rougher period.  Be advised that during a heavy-drainage period, that can initially accompany beginning rinsing and Xylitol use, you may feel worse before you feel better.  It may be beneficial to take a antihistamine like zyrtec as well, if your problem is allergy-related.

• Posted

I should also mention that something I felt helped was frequent gargling for a minute or more with listerine or generic alcohol-based mouthwash.  It helps get the post-nasal drip moving so it can be cleared more quickly.  However, if you want to do this you should be aware that there is increased risk of oral cancer with the use of alcohol-based mouthwash.
  • Posted

Hi ...can fully understand your anxiety. .18 months of sheer hell following catching flu and pneumonia, had headaches that where off the scale, post nasal drip, fatigue, not sleeping due to pain. 1st consultant said use sprays etc and his registrar said I needed antidepressants as I was anxious! ....I was livid as who wouldn't be anxious with consent head pain brain fog and losing my career (  I was a nurse practitioner )post .only anti inflammatory drugs helping a little so I looked up best ENT consultant and made appointment to see him. He saved my life...he actually listened to what I was saying.. had to have 4 sinus operations and finally after lots of apps and not giving up...sending lots post nasal drip samples they found a funnel and bacterial deep in the sphenoid sinus...I'm only 3 weeks post op but head pain is so much better, using canestan washouts and long term oral antibiotics.....my hope is to get fit again... find another consultant who will listen to you and never give up....you are not alone. Best wishes. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.